Tomatoes, tomatoes and more tomatoes!!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Fidgetsmum, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    Well, it was like this y'see.

I've got 8 compost bins (disguised as 'beehives') scattered around my garden and, earlier in the year, I emptied 'em out and dug in or spread their contents around the borders. Now, I realised when I did it, that the last one wasn't fully rotted down, but there was just this one bit of garden left so I thought, 'Oh, what the ....' and emptied it anyway.

Note to self - Not a good idea. Clearly, those squishy tomatoes that I assumed would just rot away have, in fact, sat in/on the soil and their seeds have germinated to the extent that now I have tomato plants popping up all over the place!

I wouldn't mind, but the irony is that for years I tried to grow tomato from seed without any success - until this year, when I had so much success that there can hardly be a tomato plant growing within a 5 mile radius that didn't begin life as a seed in my greenhouse. :DOH:

• Like Like x 5
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I've had the same from my worm bin this year, i've let a few of them grow on just to see what they would produce.

I'm sure if Kristen was here, he'd be warning us about blight so i'll do it for him:thumbsup:

Just sprayed my West Bay plot with Bordeaux mixture and i'm just about to do the same to the home plot. Don't want a repeat of last season:(

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,838
      Am I right in thinking that blight is more prone in outdoor tomatoes than those being grown in a Greenhouse.???:scratch::what:

I'll be keeping seeds back from this year's crop to sow next year, I think, after Sheal's experience.!!:D

• roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +7,093
      :) lol.....I have the same problem, but with forget-me-nots.

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      I emptied one of my compost bins to mulch the garden back in March and I've had tomato seedlings popping up ever since :D