tomatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Neil, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Neil

Neil Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there.can anyone tell me why the bottom few leaves on my tomatoe plants are turning yellow?I water them every day,so could I be giving them too much water?

2. supersprout

supersprout Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Have a feel of the compost to see if it's too wet. It could just be old age :eek: - the bottom leaves often turn yellow and die. Two weeks ago I cut off all the bottom leaves on my greenhouse toms up to the first truss, aim is to prevent blight from water splashing up onto the leaves. My neighbour was horrified, but I have it on good advice that this is good for the toms and they seem to have taken it well :D

3. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    As these lower leaves are the oldest they will die off first anyway and I remove them for 2 reasons.

First any yellow leaves encourage desease and secondly the lower leaves seem to hide aphids that are hard to spot down there. Further more I remove a few leaves further up where they may not look that good, to keep the plants open making it easy to side shoot and easier to spot pests and deseases, especially where there is overlap with another plant.

The plants don't seem to mind this, but I don't touch the top leaves as they are fresh anyway and provide useful shade to the fruit.

But that's just me! ;)

4. Neil

Neil Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks supersprout and dag,I am reaching for the pruning knife as we speak. Neil.

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Once the tomatoes have started getting a hint of red on them (too early for that at the moment) I always remove the leaves below them - for the same reason that DAG has said. it seems to keep the plants healthy for longer and makes it easier to pick the fruit. By the end of the season there is a lot less leaf to have to get rid of and those that are left are not horribly soft and mucky.
    ------------
    shiney