tomatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by grinch, Jun 10, 2006.

1. grinch

grinch Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone tell me gardeners delight tomatoes should they be grown as cordons and side shoots removed or grow as bush and side shoots left to grow as iv been given both sets of advice and being new to gardening not sure which one to use many thanks

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    These are cherry tomatoes, so shouldn't be too heavy for growing as a bush. I grew them last year as cordons, they did look a bit heavy and brittle for bushes. Try some of both!

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    We've done them both ways. We usually grow one or two plants in the GH and train these as cordons, otherwise they take up too much space, and a half dozen outside which we let bush (with support). We seems to get a bigger crop from the bush plants.
    This year I'm really hedging my bets. I've two cordons in the GH, four cordons in a polytunnel and four bushes outside.

4. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  5. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
  6. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Liz - I can impress people with my tomato knowledge now ;) :D

7. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I was just reading that if you water and feed to get maximum crops, you decrease flavour. Is this true?

8. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Now that's interesting....it would also explain the tasteless produce we get lumbared with from the supermarket ;)

9. gofoit2

gofoit2 Gardener

Gone past the age of working so just enjoying myse
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have 2 grow bags with 3 tomato in each, 3 different kinds, 2 gardeners delight, 2 plum and 2 money maker. In the one all 3 plants are nice and green, but the 2nd one, the leaves are starting to go yellow, is that too much water or not enought? The one closer to the door is going yellow, so the other one gets a little hotter, and I think I put the same amount in both.
    Cheers
    Trevor

10. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Hi Trevor
    My money would be on too much water - just as bad for the plants as too little.
    Could you not judge the amount of "soggyness" by gently lifting the bags and comparing their weights.
    I don't use grow bags for my GH toms, but use grow bags to fill large pots. I find I can judge the dryness of the pots and if watering is required, by gently tipping the pots with my toe. A dry pot weighs next to nothing and an over watered pot is pretty heavy.

11. sparkle

sparkle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Grinch, I'm growing gardeners delight this year as well. My dad tells me that the side shoots must be pinched out because they become dominant and stop the plant producing much fruit.
    They must also be tied to a cane because the weight of the fruit will make the stem droop and once that happens you can't straighten it without it breaking.

12. supersprout

supersprout Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I find string easier to use for supporting cordons than poles - see left of pic [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. angelad

angelad Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have some tomato's which i am growing in Cordon fashion in my green house. I am nevous when taking off the side shoots that i may be removing the start of the flowers. is there any rule to this or do you just take everything off that grows off the main stem off?

14. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,183
    Hi Sparkle and angelad .. you seem like new guys on the block.

I haven't got a clue with this tomato this either. I'm growing Moneymaker and cherry tomatoes (the latter ones from sticking a tomato in the ground like last year!) so I'm waiting for the pros of the veggie world to answer here ...

15. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,183
    Sorry, didn't say welcome to Sparkle and agelad ... hope you enjoy as much as the rest of us!