Tonights Gardeners World

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Lad, May 13, 2011.

1. Lad

Lad Gardener

Senior Consultant
    Ratings:
    +46
    So looking forward to Gardeners world and nothing practical is going on just faffing about at a the Malvern show!!

More presenters doing nothing we need practical tips not this squit. :wallbang:

2. NewGardener

NewGardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    I prefer it when they show you how to do stuff, and what to be doing. Just watching it on iPlayer now, as the TV is a slave to the soaps up until 9. Lol.

3. Lad

Lad Gardener

Senior Consultant
    Ratings:
    +46
    yes but they don't half dumb down, they encourage people to spend money on ridiculous concepts. Gardening was always working class and make do and mend GW aims at the middle and upper classes, this is something to do with the middle classes having more leisure time. and thinking how green they are by having an allotment and holding garden parties on it.

4. NewGardener

NewGardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    There was a thread on here about the 'new' Gardeners World. I personally preferred Toby, though I like Monty, and think they should have got rid of Joe and that Rachel, and kept Toby and Alys on.

5. Jo Sara

Jo Sara Gardener

I make mosaics for the home and garden.
    Ratings:
    +60
    Calm down, Lad. It's keeping the antique chinese rice basket sellers in business, so it's not all bad. :D

6. Lad

Lad Gardener

Senior Consultant
    Ratings:
    +46
    Carol Klien talks like she has a drain pipe in her mouth. A lot of stuff we see is old hat, I would like to see more seed trials, and propagation.

7. jovi

jovi Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    An interest in gardening is more than just planting our own plots. Most of us enjoy visiting open gardens and going to the big shows. I for one enjoyed watching tonight, maybe because tomorrow I'm off to the show as it's my local and it was nice to see what to look out for. It's covers a huge area and it's difficult to get around everything.

Gardeners World covers most interests, I have no interest in ponds or bog gardens but I don't have a problem with GW catering for those that do.

8. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    You have a point,Jovi. Gardening is about so many aspects. But we all get interested and focused on certain things in gardening and tend to get impatient if it's not shown regularly on the Gardening Shows.
    It's been a "tradition" ever since Gardeners World came into existence for it to pay homage to the various Shows and be present at them. A lot of gardeners, who can't attend the shows, got a lot of pleasure watching those programs but there are also a lot who don't. The Gardening programs are in an impossible place, a case of you can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time.:cry3::heehee::heehee:i, I care about the gardening that's being shown and, as I've said before, we don't get enough gardening programs.:D

9. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi
    Then have a look at Beechgrove Gardens episode 6 on BBC i Player,there are 3 more days to view!

They had trials of one peat based compost as a control, then five others totally peat free, growing lettuce from seed, and impatiens and begonis semp? probably from plugs, they did not say!

Some of the peat FREE ones appeared to be totally useless,and the zealots and their fellow travellers want the rest of us to give up peat!

Go informative gardening programme!

Cheers!

10. alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
    Ratings:
    +2,620
    The shows are just an excuse for the presenters to have a jolly day out. I'm sure they wouldn't bother to go to them if they weren't paid to do so.

Having said that I was impressed with the woman who had sourced everything in her veggie garden by bike. So much easier to care for natives than those tree ferns and exotics - who needs them when we have so many glorious native plants.

I noticed that Monty bought a pelegonium named after his wife (name dropping) - surely they already have that one growing in their garden. I certainly would if I was lucky enough to have a flower named after me:loll:

11. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
    :heehee::heehee::heehee:

12. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,094
    :) Last night was a typical Show Garden presentation,it is what it is,they showed us the show,that was their brief.
    I enjoyed it.:dbgrtmb:

13. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    In my view, Gardener's World has 'lost the plot' (almost literally) in the last few series. It's nice enough to be shown The Malvern Show, Tatton Park, Hampton Court, et.al., and Philistine I may be, but once you've seen one flower show on TV, you've pretty much seen them all. Yes, I appreciate it all part of a gardening world, but when I visit a flower show, I prefer to go off and explore the 'outside' stands, rather than looking at huge displays of perfect but out-of-season flowers that can only be grown in computer controlled environments whilst being tended by a full-time staff.

In the last few series of Gardener's World, I've had to watch Alys (someone buy her a comb) Fowler, filling 3 flower pots, I've been shown how to 'build' a boot scraper, how to make a 'green' roof for a bike shed and, how to make a heated propagator in 30 minutes .... ostensibly.

Surely I'm not alone in wanting to see much less perfection and then be told what to do about it?

14. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    Is that "Bring back Titchmarsh" I hear in the background?

15. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    Mr T is currently recording a rival gardening show for ITV. It's going to be screened half-an-hour before GW on Friday evenings. Be interesting to see what happens.

Chris