1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Too far?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,471
    In the news this morning, is this article regarding plans to tackle child obesity - Checkout sweets targeted in obesity fight

Now, whilst I agree that we do have a problem in this country (and indeed almost all 'developed' countries*), I am not sure that I entirely agree with this nanny-state approach.

Banning having sweeties at checkouts - fair enough, but how does that affect smaller, independent shops who really only have their counter as display space?

A ban on buy one get one free, well that is a bridge too far for me - I would even question if it isn't in some way price fixing - the only winners would be the manufacturers and sellers.

And lastly, the ban on 'junk food' adverts - this would remove significant revenues from media channels of all sorts (including websites like this one!) which rely on advertising to stay afloat. Who would decide what classifies as 'junk food'? Is pizza 'junk food'? Or is it only not junk food when Jamie Oliver is serving it?

Surely we would be better off going back to the days when all of our fruit and veg was being sold or used one way or another - not discarding massive amounts just because it is an odd shape would surely make all fruit and veg cheaper? If we are going to invest money in something like this, then would it not be better to invest in basic gardening classes, or cooking classes for kids and parents?

And are there not much bigger issues that the government needs to look at more urgently, not least kids killing each other? It is almost daily now that we see in the news that another kid has been stabbed by other kids - Teenager killed in London party stabbing

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,599
      Yeah, just another government approach to appease the snowflakes out there.
      Most people eat too much, and they make their kids eat too much.
      Personally, they can stuff themselves as much as they like, just get out of the NHS queue.;)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,471
        I think a lot of the problem is that there seems to be less parks and swimming pools than there was when I was a kid? I know they have video games now that we never had (I remember how chuffed I was when I got my 11" black and white portable telly for my bedroom!), but truthfully there does seem to be a distinct lack of things for kids to do nowadays. I live on the edge of our capital city, and there isn't all that much for kids around here.

And yes, I think you have hit the nail on the head by saying snowflakes - we seem to have lost our sense of humour, backbone, and get up and go nowadays.

• Like Like x 3
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,249
          I tend to agree with most of what you said :blue thumb: but have a few comments.

Small independent shops will not be included in the checkout ban. :thumbsup: How they define 'small' is another matter. :scratch:

I've never agreed with the BOGOF culture. Just cut the price of each item. They just use the BOGOF as a 'loss leader' to get people into the store. A lot of the food is wasted because people take more than they really need.

They're talking about the ban only being after the watershed. How you do that on websites is beyond me.

Definitely agree. :dbgrtmb: When I was a lad... :old:

• Like Like x 4
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +49,471
            I think that sums up my problems with it @shiney - it is yet another, ill thought out idea that our government is jumping at as an ideal solution. I am still waiting for the day they wake up and realise the environmental disaster that electric cars really are - and how many deaths there are going to be thanks to fierce battery fires...... anyway, I digress....

I agree that reducing prices of individual items rather than BOGOF deals would be much better, but we all know that retailers are never going to stop using tactics like that; if they are banned from doing so on particular items, they will still press their suppliers for deals, but I doubt they will be passed on just as readily.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the need for legislation for some things - but do we really need to be dictated to what we eat and drink? What right does anyone have to dictate to anyone else what they eat or drink?

Legislate on knives, drugs and guns by all means, but Mars bars?

PS - I have to clarify the * next to 'developed' countries in my original post; I put that there with the intention of adding a footnote that I hate that particular phrase, but couldn't think of anything else at the time.

• Like Like x 2
            • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +85,599
              There are not less parks or swimming pools around my area, the parks are the same, it's just that where I spent my time running around and climbing trees kids have to have organised events.
              Swimming pools are warmer, unlike freezing your ...., off like I did in a chlorine infested shite hole.

It stems from parents and dare I say it Grandparents spending the whole day organising something for the kids to do.
              No one lets them get on with it, chuck them out in the garden and just dig holes, eat dirt, watch wild life, roll around in the mud.:biggrin:

No it has to be organised fun, organised shouting, organised this organised that.......

• Agree Agree x 3
              • Like Like x 1
              • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                Ratings:
                +31,842
                Stop making anything which is bad for you, then you can't eat it, don't pussy foot around if it aint there to buy you can't buy it, simple !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is a sweet shop going to ban sweets near the check out :snorky:

• Funny Funny x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                  Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
                • shiney

Ratings:
                  +118,249
                  Run around, climb trees, fall out of trees, hurt yourself! Don't play with the busses. All parts of growing up.

We live in a village and there's plenty of space for kids to play - and a very big village green. Do the kids play on it? Never! They're all too busy on their electronic devices. :doh:

We used to regularly see families having picnics on the very big village green and kids running around. Most Sundays there's cricket on the cricket field in the middle of the green but very few spectators nowadays.

• Agree Agree x 4
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +49,471
                    Its sad really - in the summer, we used to take a baseball bat and a ball down to the park (a field essentially) and play rounders until it was too dark to see. It was a regular thing for our parents to take turns in coming kid-hunting to get us all to go to our respective homes for food or bed.

• Like Like x 6
                    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                      Ratings:
                      +31,842
                      I was just specking to a farmer who was very pee-ed off with food waste, so i'd asked why dose he put out a food waste bin for the recycle lorry? it went very quite :biggrin:

Jiffy, you know you are not to ask them sort of questions :snorky:

• Funny Funny x 2
                      • shiney

Ratings:
                        +118,249
                        If you take a baseball bat down to the park today you'd get arrested! :doh:

• Agree Agree x 4
                        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                          Ratings:
                          +30,605
                          We have a problem with obesity over here too. I remember being very active as a child but I really think it came down to two things which "shaped" my life. Organized activities and free play.

Organized was school fitness programs. Nobody got to opt out. We did exercises, we played sports and were kept on the move a good hour each day.

Free play came naturally after that. When you're in good shape, it's fun to prance around and play.

I see lots of kids playing at recess time at school and am pleased about that but I still think there's not enough time devoted to physical fitness classes in the schools these days.

• Like Like x 2
                          • Agree Agree x 2