Too late for bedding plants ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sam1974x, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Is it too late to pot or even buy bedding plants now?

As I have previously posted, several of mine have been totally ruined in the storms we have had and im thinking now I might just replace them rather that sit looking at the sorry mess mine have become.

Anyone know where I might be able to buy from still?

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi Sam No Not at all If buying make sure you chose the Ones that have lots of buds on yet to come into flower ,I have just put in today for much the same reason Ie Salvias-Balloon Flowers-and Zinnias.Hope this Helps. [​IMG]

3. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Hi Sam, my local market is still selling stalls full of them and I think they look better now than when I bought mine. [​IMG]

My local B&Q are flogging them off at half price at the moment,get down to yours as I`m sure that all stores will be doing it.

4. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    am on holiday from work at the moment (worse 2 weeks i could have picked!!) so currently begging by text messages for boyfriend to take me to B & Q after he finishes work.

I dont drive and he hates the gardening. I think he is sick of me moaning about it this week :(

Hopefully they will still have some in stock when we go tonight .... either that or will have to hit all the garden centres at the weekend to see what I can find.

When is this awful weather going to stop, Im loosing count of how many damaged plants and pots I have :( :( :(

5. dancing queen

dancing queen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi sam i feel for you i had last week off work and it poured down all week was glad to go back , i`m sure you`l get loads of bargains at b and q , you`l have to learn to drive then you could browse for hours :D

6. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    lol very true!

I will have to see what they have left still, if anything although I have managed to get quite a few bargains from there before.

Last summer I got lillies from there reduced to 50p a pot (end of season). Brought 4, planted them and this year I have masses of lillies out the front ... which aint bad for �£2 in total :D

I dont care what I have to pay today to get plants for my pots. I cant bear looking at the mess they have become now and they have looked like this for almost a fortnight. Some sun would be nice to perk stuff up a bit, but I dont think we stand much chance of that any time soon either :(

Keep looking at other peoples gardens locally. I think most people have given up with their pots this year all ready as cant seem to see many still outside.

On a plus note ..... my hanging baskets are still ok [​IMG] (minus a couple of snapped geraniums though)

7. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Well nothing at B & Q or the large garden centre ........ but a HUGE amount of plants at the local Costcutters of all places!!!

�£2 a tray of 6 which i thought was cheap. Got a few trays today and will go back again tomorrow after I have planted these ones if I need more (they were just shutting when i got there and couldnt carry more than 3). Luckily managed to get the same plants that I already have in most tubs so just need to cut away the bad and add the new now :D

Much happier today ..... just gotta figure out how to stop them getting damaged again in the rain :confused:

8. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I just planted out some marigolds and petunias today from my local garden centre. I got the varieties that weren't flowering yet so they still look great to fill up my last pot.

It seems to me that most things seem to be progressing more slowly this summer anyway with the funny weather.

TO

9. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    It's not too late, our parks are still being planted, much to my annoyance, as I want to see the back of them. :D

10. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Hi Sam1974x [​IMG]
    Did you get all potted up? If so,are they o.k with this weather and any chance of a picture or two? [​IMG]

11. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I am addicted to patio pots, baskets and bedding plants. I bought some more this weekend and I have a couple more pots to pot up. I have no idea how many I have but it must be at least 20. My husband wonders when it will ever end! I dread to think of the money I have spent. I also bought a fantastic busy lizzy thing this weekend which you have on the wall. My garden is looking a bit much at the moment actually with all the different tyoes of bedding plants - definately too many colours and varieties. I will have to show more restraint next year!

I hope you are happy with yours!

12. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi elliegreenwellie,Mr.fiz is often heard saying,"how many more?"I say "the more the merrier."You can NEVER have too many flowers. :D

13. elliegreenwellie

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Elaine, I think my husband has given up. He knows it keeps me happy and occupied so he has some peace and quiet!

14. mef750

mef750 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Elliegreenwellie, the more colours and varieties make it look better im my opinion that is, these are a few of my tubs.

[​IMG]

15. elliegreenwellie

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh they look fab, ,much better than mine that could really do with some more sun at the moment. What are the white flowers?