Too many................phone chargers, leads

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by watergarden, Oct 17, 2011.

1. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    Is it me, or does any one else have "a drawer full of phone chargers, but no phones" and while I mention it, "a bunch of leads for cameras" you no longer have.

I kept them because they will be of use one day, no, no they are not, I am going to bin the lot of them.

I also know most folk have a drawer in the kitchen with old keys, and other "stuff" but today, I am not asking about that, just all these chargers and leads.

• Like Like x 5
    • BigEars

BigEars Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      I know the feeling.

In our house are an unknown number of leads ( only have 3 phones), an old camera which is not used anymore, a screen damaged satnav plus the tomtom and various smaller usb leads for the various bits and pieces.

• Like Like x 1
      • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,543
        I thought i was the only one that had that problem:DI am not sure if i dreamt it,but i think there is a charger being developed that is going to be able to fit all types of gadgets so only one would be needed in future and i think it was due to hit the shops in 2012 but as I said I am not sure whether i heard the report correctly:D

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
        Ratings:
        +7,371
        It is not so much the UNIVERSAL charger, they are already available, various voltages etc
        Though the phone,camera,gadget manufactures all use a different end socket even within the same company
        Why they do this I do not know
        I mean they could supply the new gadget without charger and lead, reduce costs and sell the product slightly cheaper
        So my guess is a specific charger and exclusive lead cost pennies to produce and are marked up making bigger profits
        A bit like fish and chip shops, Why give you five shovel fulls of chips when one would be ample
        Because a potato costs 10p when cut and fried it is worth £1 so force you to buy two potatoes for £2 Voila

Jack McH

• Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +866
        We've got any amount of 'universal' chargers and leads that profess to fit just about every 'phone (or indeed any other appliance) ever made and none of them fit anything, that's before you add in the 'emergency' chargers (that don't fit anything either).

We did give the drawer a bit of a clear-out, but any space made by the removal of 'phone accessories was quickly taken over by computer leads of various types - printer cables (there seem to be an awful lot of printer cables), plus innumerable other bits of 'electrical string' all with various USB-type connectors on one end and an exciting array of different shaped 'bits' the other end, in a whole range of sizes and colours. They must have been used for something at some time but, what, is anyone's guess :heehee:

• CosmosGuy

CosmosGuy Gardener

NHS
        Ratings:
        +306
        Unfortunately I have one of those drawers. I know what most of the cables do, but try to keep them in a plastic wallet with the instructions...otherwise they just get tangled up everytime I want to use the hairdryer :wallbang:

Of course we all have that mystery box.....containing numerous leads we claim we know nothing about but keep for that day 'just in case.'