Total Beginner

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by johneva, Apr 1, 2010.

1. johneva

johneva Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I am a total beginner an know absolutly nothing about gardening, but need to do something with some large borders in our newly rented house.

I dont want to spend to much on this as its only a rented house an although we are planning on being here for 2 years its pointless spending to much time or money sorting this.

The borders are on the southside so get sun most of the day, when its sunny that is lol.

Would like something that will fillout really quick and easy to get the borders looking reasonable, they are totally bare near enough at the min and look a mess.

So cheap easy to maintain border, I know that is probley what alot of people want an its not that simple but it dont need to look great just better than mud with weeds growing.

Any advise on this would be great.
    Cheers
    John

2. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is at this time of year totally bare doesn't really mean a lot. What looks like a dead plant to spring to life soon.......in spring ;). Do you mean its just dirt by bare, or there are dead looking plants?

Oh and welcome to GC :D

3. johneva

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah its all pretty much just dirt, all the old plants were ripped out by the guys doing the main refurb work of the house by the look of it so I gotta do something now there is a couple of bush type plants in there but 90% just empty dirt that needs something planting, just not got a clue whats going to make up an easy border to maintain and be cheap to do.

4. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi Johneva It depends on what you want in your borders, I would respectfully suggest you could go down the Perennial route,hope this is of some help to you:)

1.A perennial plant is a plant the once it is planted and takes root - after it's annual appearance will go "dormant" in the ground - sometimes called "wintering over" but will return again each year- examples of these are bleeding hearts, mums, coreopsis, coral bells, and trillium. :)

2. Annuals only last one season- (unless you live someplace really warm)- examples of annuals are impatiens and begonias.

3.Biennials live for two years, a season of growth, and a second year of flowering - foxgloves are an example.

4.Bedding plants Generally annual or tender plants used in quantity for a temporary garden display in summer and autumn For example; petunias, begonias, pelargoniums ect.

5. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    As you only plan to be there for two years I would suggest annuals. They grow really quickly, give you a full show in a year (as they only live that long) and will not break the bank.

If you go to the garden centre you can get trays of small annuals. Even better value at the nurseries.

6. lady smock

lady smock Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i would mix a few perennials with annual seed sowing and bedding plants, that way you would have colour straight away and colour coming on through the year.
    there are plenty of perennial to choose from, obtainable from car boots, markets etc. at reasonable prices or free of course from friends and familys gardens, these increase yearly so i'm sure a few can be spared. some border examples are lupins, grannys bonnets(aqueligia),poppy's,irises,scabious, primulas,catmint, perennial cornflower etc. all these should show flowers relatively quickly and there are lots of annual flower seeds you could sow now like 'love in a mist', clarkia,marigolds, candytuft etc. which will all flower this year and in the meantime there are plenty of bedding plants on sale which will give you instant colour from now or at least after all danger of frost has gone, just bung em all in,lol, and see the difference. good luck.

7. johneva

Ratings:
    +0
    Carnt belive my luck, I went an got a load of stuff an got them planted over the last week couple of Hardy Fuchsias, load of Dwaf Lupines and Pansies and few others carnt remember their names top of my head now. An woke up this morning to a light frost just hope they can cope with it or wat a waste of time an money that was.

8. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi Johneva Its never a waste of time or money,its just a gentle learning curve ,I think we have all been there well I know I have several times :hehe: I should think that they should be OK,or maybe just a light covering over them if you think you will get some more frost,for all the colour and pleasure you will undoubtedly get from them ,its all good value,we all learn from our mistakes and I,ve made more than most,here,s hoping that they will survive for you:thmb::)

9. johneva

Ratings:
    +0
    Well looks like they are all fine anywayz, thankfully. Would have been gutted if they all died after all my hard work.