Total gardening newbie says hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Arterion, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Arterion

Arterion Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

As a recently graduated twenty-four year old, I can honestly say that gardening was not something I had planned on getting in to any time soon. My mum's house where I'm currently living however, is in need of a bit of a spruce up, the garden in particular being one of the things which lets the place down. I think it'll do my mum a tremendous amount of good to have it looking nice, and I want to be the one do this for her.

It's quite a large space is my back garden- including the patio, larger than the house in terms of area- and I think it has potential to be a central feature. The major drawback here is that the most experience I have with gardening (and I use this term loosely) is with a few large pots of home-grown herbs which I use for cooking; I think the work which needs to be done is a million miles beyond this and I'm sorry to say I'll likely need a lot of hand-holding and patience throughout what I think is going to be a long process.

Anyway, from what I've read so far, this seems to be a helpful and knowledgeable community, and I very much look forward to chatting with some of you and drawing on your expertise as I embark on this particular mission.

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Aterion a very warm welcome then.. Sounds like you have a task on your hands.. Why not take some pohotos & post them up for us all to see & say what you would like to do with each par.. Or ask us our opinions on what to do with each bit.. We are a friendly bunch on here & always ready to help out:gnthb: a fellow gardener, sounds a smashing idea you have for your Mum.. Gardens can overtake you if you cannot keep on top of them.. So post those pics & ask away...

3. Arterion

Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant, thank you, I'll get some pictures tomorrow if the weather is reasonable and I'll post them a.s.a.p :ntwrth:

4. Pete02

Pete02 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Arterion, :wlcm: to Gardeners Corner, if you have any
    questions don't be afraid to ask, everyone on here are friendly
    a good crowd.

Pete

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Great Arterion look forward to them.. :gnthb:

6. Arterion

Ratings:
    +0
  7. Arterion

Ratings:
    +0
    Right so, here are a few pictures of my garden as it stands now. As you can see, grass is inconsistent at best where its not been totally drowned by weeds, my patio is also covered in weeds (I'm thinking weedkiller for this) and everythings generally a bit of a mess.

Furthermore, along the right side of the garden there are a number stumps; remnants of a large evergreen bush of some sort which my dad cut down and killed by drilling holes in and putting something in them to prevent them growing anymore. They're about 20-25cm in diameter each and will probably need to come out.

No idea where to start with all this and I realise the UK weather isn't exactly favourable at the moment, but I'd really appreciate any input/opinions/ideas so I can get started on this, if only a little bit at a time.

8. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
  9. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Good evening Arterion and welcome to the site. I think you know your first three jobs, cut the grass, spray the weeds with Glyphosate ( weedkiller ) then try and dig out the stumps. If they have been treated as you say, then it shouldn`t be to hard.:gnthb:

10. Arterion

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I think you're right; I'll put some sort of weedkiller on the weeds on the patio, though with regards to the lawn, if I apply weedkiller here I'll literally be killing off over half of the total area. Any recommendations when weed infiltration is this bad?

And with regards to the stumps, are they really simple enough to 'dig out' or will I need to hire someone/use special equipment?

11. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    If you want to kill off the weeds in the lawn you need to use a product called Verdone Extra. As for the stumps, there is only one way to find out how easy/hard the job will be.:wink::lollol::gnthb: