Tradescantia pallida: Seeds?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by SvenLittkowski, Sep 6, 2010.

1. SvenLittkowski

SvenLittkowski Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

all around me grows the Tradescantia pallida, and I would like to take seeds from this plant, in order to offer them for seed exchanges. But I am not sure how the seeds look alike, and I heard the blossoms are sterile?

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :scratch: Hi Sven, I think as with most Tradescantias the propagation is by cuttings, roots spreading & branches growing out & rooting.. I have taken cuttings of them & rooted them fine in my little garden there, well to the best of my knowledge anyway that is how they spread, not actually seen any seed on them, but I am sure someone else may know more... :thumb:

3. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    I've never seen seeds on them either, have only ever done them by cuttings, as Marley says.

Unfortunately, I've never really had any luck with them. Have one growing now but never managed to get a large pot full of them as I would like to have. I must say that it is a beautiful sight to see great clumps of them in the warmer countries. Lucky you to be able to see them all around, Sven. :thumb:

4. SvenLittkowski

SvenLittkowski Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hmmm. But wouldn't each plant have something like seeds for creating the next generation?

5. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :scratch: As far as I know Sven the flowers are sterile & they propagate by roots spreading, by cuttings.. If a piece breaks of it usually roots....

6. SvenLittkowski

SvenLittkowski Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks, I heard the same. But that makes it difficult to offer this plant for sending. I saw some red berries on one of those plants, maybe I should pick those and check them out.

7. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: Do check them out then Sven yes as I have never seen those.. Let us know if they grow..!:thumb:

8. SvenLittkowski

SvenLittkowski Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hard to plug them. They burst easily. Will try again, but by cutting carefully...

9. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    Hi Sven, do try as it would be very interesting to know.. :wink: BTW, my gardening friend in Jamaica always says if the seed is squishy, always just plant the whole seed & see how many plantlets come up & thin from there.... He has a wonderful garden full of everything you can imagine just about.. :D Native Jamaican as well as all sorts of other plants.. They live on top of Cave Mountain overlooking Bloomfields where Peter Tosh lived & grew up & his Mother still does.... A wonderful place to be at night as you can look out & see the few lights of Sav Lamar as well as small pockets of lights dotted a round, but storm watching from there is my fave... :D Meybe that is what is so wonderful.. Next to no light pollution.. :wink::D