trailing lobelia heads are mostly dead.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by michell8151, Jul 31, 2010.

1. michell8151

michell8151 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Goood evening,
    can anyone help me? My lobelias are mostly dead, and few blossoming. I have trimmed the lobelia, and watering daily, and in the evening due to hot weather, but only when soil is slightly wet. Also strands of dead lobelias from flower to its root have dried out like straw.

:cutflwrs::cutflwrs::cutflwrs:

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Sorry I can't help you Michell.
    All I can say is that maybe it is a watering problem. Some people think they have watered when they have sprinkled half a can of water about the place. My husband doles the stuff out as if it was rationed.
    If you're convinced it's not a water problem the only other thing I can suggest is I don't think it likes an acid soil. It maybe doesn't need too alkaline, but does seem to like to grow beside a wall or a path, maybe just gets a little bit of lime from the cement.
    Just a fussy plant Michel.
    It's doing great here for me, but wouldn't grow in my last garden at all.
    Hope it will pep up for you.

3. michell8151

Ratings:
    +0
    In the baskets, I am having problems. I am using water cannister, can that over water plants? How much water, should it be wet, and soaking into the soil into roots? I am wondering if I am over watering them.

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :scratch: Hi Michel, it does sound like a soil or watering problem..Are they brown looking 'dead' or just scraggly and not blooming? If they're brown, then I would give up, but if there's still green, I would trim them down to about 2" or so. The hanging baskets are lovely but very difficult to keep evenly watered in hot weather.. :dh: I sadly don't do baskets now because of that problem, but when I did, I used to take them all down at night & sit them in washing up bowls of water for the night & then hang them all up in the mornings they always looked wonderful, but it was a faff.... So planters & tubs for me now... :D

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,979
    I've always found lobelia tends to run out of steam around this time of the year.
    Even more so in hot dry years.
    Usually by now the other plants have taken over in the basket or container and its just a case of cutting it back.

6. michell8151

Ratings:
    +0
    Gardeners,

Thankyou! :ntwrth:

7. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I think it's like I said Michell.
    Lobelia can be fussy beyond reason(fikey to me).
    If it decides to grow it will go mad, and if not, for no reason you can see, it will shrivel and die.
    As I said, in my last garden it wouldn't grow no matter what I did, in this garden it just goes mad.
    Don't beat yourself up about it. If it won't grow it won't grow. Just find something that will.