1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Trailing plants

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by PeterS, Jun 14, 2016.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    My conservatory is so full that the only place I have left is for plants that hang from the ceiling. So I am starting a, very small, collection of them

2016_06140002.JPG
    Spanish Moss (Tillandsia usneoides). I have had this for a while. Its very popular, and you often see it.

2016_06140003.JPG
    Hoya linearis. For the last year I have been telling myself that this was Kalanchoe linearis. But I have just tried to Google that name and couldn't find it. So I had to look back at my records.

On Googling the true name I see one site saying that it is the hardest Hoya to keep alive, that it comes from the Himalayas and likes it cool and shady. For me its been very easy in my conservatory, where it gets very hot and is in full sun. But it does like humidity and I think that is where I am lucky. I love it.

2016_06140001.JPG
    String of Pearls, Senecio rowleyanus. I went to the Gordon Rigg garden centre yesterday, where I saw this. I had to add it to my collection - its just such a silly plant. The pearls are, in fact, the leaves.

2016_06140004.JPG
    Asparagas densiflorus 'Sprengeri'. Whilst I don't grow this in a hanging basket, I think I have to add this to the list. Apparently, its a favourite of florists - and I can see why. It will cover all sorts of pots and things that don't need to be seen. It can be draped up or down.

Are there any other tropical trailers that could be added?

• Like Like x 3
    • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Peter,

How about a Fuchsia Procumbens ?

fuchsia procumbens rainbow fuchsia 7 seeds fuchsia procumbens is a ___.jpg

Trailing fuchsia ‘procumbens’ _ Log House Plants.jpg

Fuchsia procumbens _ Creeping Fuchsia, Shore Fuchsia, Trailing Fuchsia ___.jpg

• Like Like x 3
      • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
        Ratings:
        +28,496
        Do you have any Columneas, Aeschynanthus or Episcias, the warmth and humidity would suit them. Ceropegias too if you can find them.

• Like Like x 3
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,015
          Thanks Anthony - I don't know that one.

Strongy, I have had a Columnea and Aeschynanthus, but I killed both of them (actually I still have one sick Aeschynanthus just hanging on. I suspect that I have been overwatering things over winter.

I try not to water too much, but I recently read a piece about Mandevilles, where they said one cup of water a month over the winter. I am sure I have done more than that to many things and killed them.

I don't know Episcia or Ceropegia - I have just had to Google them, though I think I have seen Ceropegia wooddii illustrated before. Thanks for the suggestions.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            Last edited: Jun 14, 2016