Training Climbers/Ramblers

Discussion in 'Roses' started by clum111, May 23, 2015.

1. clum111

clum111 Gardener

Ratings:
    +170
    Hi,

I'm designing my garden in a Japanese theme. I'll have a path running along one side of the garden leading to my external gate, so I'm plan to put some sort of trellis running down the path.

So I want to have a climber growing all over the trellis and I thought "Roses". So I thought, how do you train them? Did a search and found a video on YouTube. To cut a long storey short, the guy said every year you cut all last year's growth out of the trellis and tie in the new growth as it grows and this is done each year.

Is this correct? It just seems a lot of effort when you have to cut it down every year.

regards,

Calum

2. Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,631
    Im not sure as i have never had climbing roses but monty dont said the other week on gardeners world that you want 2/3 45 degree main stems with vertical growth off them at a 90 degree angle and you cut away any shoots that are growing sideways so its flat against the wall or trellis. So thats all i know about maintence of them

Hopefully someone else can fill you in more

3. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,873
    You need our resident rose expert @wiseowl - without shadow of a doubt, our Woo will tell you all you need to know about roses

4. clum111

clum111 Gardener

Ratings:
    +170
    Dips, I watched that as well and Don didn't say anything about cutting the rose down each year, so hopefully this info from the guy is wrong. I'm presuming you train 1 stem horizontally, cut the tip off when it reaches the length, then when new shoots starts growing, you start using 1 or 2 new shoots as your next horizontally stems up and so on.

Fat controller, Aye, hopefully @wiseowl will advise;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • clum111

clum111 Gardener

Ratings:
      +170
      Here's the video I'm on about:-

• Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,631
      I just re read my post and i called monty don monty dont by accident lol

Bit harsh of me

• Like Like x 1
      • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +91,636
        Good afternoon @clum111 I never prune my climbing Roses until they are 3 years old and from then they are routinely pruned in winter only if needed, after the flowers have faded, between December and February. Long whippy shoots can be shortened or tied in during autumn, to prevent strong winds from damaging them,renovation can be carried out at any time between late autumn and late winter. It is easier to see what you are doing when the rose is not in leaf, plus there is a better response from the rose, which should grow back vigorously the following spring.a climbing Rose will do you proud in your Japanese Garden;)

• Informative Informative x 1
        • clum111

clum111 Gardener

Ratings:
          +170
          Thanks @wiseowl for your advise. Do you ever cut out the main stems you've train for new stems growing from the base if there's nothing wrong with the old stems?

I like the Albertine rose, as my parents had it in all their gardens and I had 1 in my last garden, because they are strong and vigorous. However, it's a rambler, so doesn't repeat flowering. Can you suggest other roses like Albertine, but a climber that will flower all through the summer?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +91,636
            Good morning @clum111 my friend the short answer is my personal view is no,unless the Rose is very old and out of control and is only blooming at the top with no blooms at the base.There are a two ramblers that do repeat flower , ie Malvern Hills /Snow Goose,hope this is of some help to you:smile:

• Like Like x 1