Training young climbing rose

Discussion in 'Roses' started by lucelastic, Feb 17, 2013.

1. lucelastic

lucelastic Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I planted two climbing roses by my front (low) fence last year. They are doing really well, but it is now time to start training them to grow against the railings. They are growing strong and fast mostly away from the fence (they get full sunlight through the railings so it is not that they are growing towards the light particularly). What should I do? Cut off the strong stems that are growing in the wrong direction and concentrate on the ones growing in the right direction? Gradually bend the strong ones towards the railings, they seem reluctant to go.... Any tips would be really hugely helpful. Thank you.

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Hello and welcome to Gardener's Corner.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but we have a few rose experts here who I'm sure will be along shortly to help.

3. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Hi Lucelastic and welcome my friend,Do you know the names of them,It sounds as though when they were planted originally they were planted upright and not at an angle,but not to worry,I am trying to picture your Roses in my mind;) is there any chance of a photo,and the height of your fence which you say is low:) the wrong direction being the wrong direction to what you wanted,I will try to answer your question as best I can with the information you have posted:)

Your bush now has some canes that are very long, hopefully in many directions. They tend to grow towards the sun, perhaps upwards, but rose wood is flexible. You’re going to train these major canes in the directions you want , usually spreading them out from the plant center.One at a time, choose a healthy and large cane and bend it to the fence then tie it there. Bend the cane as horizontally as your space and its direction permit, and cut off any growth that extends beyond your area. Continue to do this until you have all the major canes your plan needs: perhaps one in each direction on each slat on a wood fence, You want to bend the canes horizontally because these are the primary canes, the structural part of the plant. They will not flower much. They will, however, put out short shoots that will flower a ton. There will be more of these short shoots if the structural canes are horizontal,Try and keep as many of the canes you say are growing in the wrong direction and bend them if possible:)

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    • lucelastic

Ratings:
      +3
      Hello Wiseowl, thank you so much. I think I planted them at an angle but maybe not enough. However they are growing towards the sun, upright. The railing is only about 2.5 foot high so pretty low. Your words about how to train are really useful, however the problem I have right now is that I can't bend the stems towards the railings as they are sturdy (growth since autumn 2012) and don't want to bend! Nice to get two responses so quickly. Thank you both.

• wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +91,663
      My apologies Lucelastic with all that I typed I did'even answer your original question,(I must be getting just like a politician):heehee: If it were me I would try and bend them if they really won't bend,them prune them off:dbgrtmb:

• lucelastic

Ratings:
      +3
      Think pruning might be what is needed :( Thanks so much Wiseowl.