Transferring an Acer into a new container

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Mamashoe, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Mamashoe

Mamashoe Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi all.

I've had my Acer for about six years now and it's been in the same pot. This Autumn I'd like to transfer it into a prettier pot and trim off some of the roots as I don't want it getting any bigger (Can I do this?) I adore my Acer, especially as my girls bought it for me as a birthday present, and I'm terrified I'll kill it. It's looking a little worse for wear probably partly due to the fact that it's not getting enough feed. I try to feed it every other week with miracle grow but I don't think this is enough. If I put some bone meal in the new compost when I transplant it would this be enough with the feed that I've been giving it or would you recommend something else? I also want to change its location. At the moment it's mainly in the shade. Unfortunately, it hardly gets notices and I'd like to bring it to the front of the house which is East facing. First thing it will have full sun but then by 10 ish it will have the shade from the house which HOPEFULLY will also protect it from the wretched salt wind. Any advise would be appreciated.

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,336
    You'll probably find that it's got a compacted rootball, Mamashoe, so difficult to trim roots. If you do do that, though, you'll need to reduce the top-growth in proportion.
    I wouldn't risk re-potting, root-trimming and moving it to a less favourable spot all in one go, though. Too much stress!
    I give my 8-year-old potted Acer Palmatum Dissectum soft water every day, with a weak dose of ericaceous feed once a fortnight. It seems healthy. Be a bit cagey when adding strong, powdered fertilisers to potted plants...they can do more harm than good.
    I had the same problem re. shade. Where I wanted to grow it wasn't where it wanted to be. The Acer won:) As they're not all that dear in the UK, (IIRC) what about buying a small cheapie and trying it out in the spot you prefer to see how it copes. If it's OK through Spring and summer, then the big one will be too. Alternatively, put it onto one of those wheeled trolley things so you can put it back in the shade if necessary...

3. Mamashoe

Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks Noisette. I agree that trying to do all at once was a bit silly once I actually thought about it :doh:. As regards to trimming roots in proportion to top-growth....There isn't much to trim to be honest. I'll take a photo tomorrow and if you don't mind letting me know what you think. Thanks :)

4. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,336
  5. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Have a look at this video for how to root prune.

I have always fed Acers with a granular slow release feed in Spring and then left them for the rest of the season. If anything I would say you are overfeeding and this time of year I wouldn't be feeding it. If you want to feed fortnightly then as Noisette says, feed a weaker solution than the recommended dosage.

Have a look here for feeding advice :)

If you are repotting in Autumn I wouldn't feed anything until the Spring.

6. Mamashoe

Ratings:
    +14
    I wrote a reply to you both but I don't know where it went !:biggrin: Anyway, :ThankYou: for your help. I can't believe how badly I've been treating my poor tree. The info you gave me was amazing and explained a lot as to why the "branches" are so brittle. I am a tad embarrassed to show you a photo of it. Up until April it had an old shed to give it a little more protection from the salt wind but my shed became a health hazard and sadly had to be pulled down. I now know what needs to be done and so will make sure I have it all ready. Like I said Noisette, I'm not sure if it can spare any branches/twigs to be cut off!!

Attached Files: