Transplanting a very young rowan tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by rosebay, May 16, 2015.

1. rosebay

rosebay budding naturalistic gardener!

Full Time Person....OK, pensioner!
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    I would be grateful for advice on transplanting time, soil preparation and depth of hole.

In a fairly shallow round pot, there was this long stem which I have only recently identified as being a rowan/mountain ash. (I used a illustrated book I have on trees - the leaves are identical). It is now about 2 feet high with several groups of leaves. I would like to transplant it into the ground and am wondering when would be the best time to do this.

Also it apparently does not like clay soil which is what I have. I have read that it likes acidic, peaty soil with good drainage. Could I combine a little of my clay soil with sand, compost and using an acid/ericaceous liquid feed? Or would it require better preparation than this. I have some topsoil...would that be a good addition?

Also I do not know how deep a hole to dig.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,352
      Hi @rosebay

As the young sapling is growing in a pot you can transplant at any time of the year.

Soil conditions for Rowan and I have a lot growing where I live are variable so I wouldn't worry about dislikes and I have had them growing on clay in the past without a any problems.

Soils prep, I would dig out a meter square as the latest technique for planting trees is not in a circular hole as the roots have a tenancy to go round ( from being grown in a round pot) so having a square hole stops this .

Dig out a meter square and a good spade and a half depth if you can and use a fork to break up the subsoil as this will help with drainage and also for the roots to get in to the soil.

Mix in some bone meal and fresh compost into the hole and give it a good mix with the spade.
      While doing all the above give the rowan a good soak in a bucket for 30 mins ( if planting out at the same time )

When ready to plant out make sure the Rowan is planted as the same depth/level as the pot so the soil level on the pot is the same as the surrounding ground, once planted firm gently in with your foot and give a good water.

Just make sure during the summer you give it a good soaking once a week.

I doubt it would need a stake as being a young sapling will soon create a long sturdy stem.

Hope you find the above useful.

Spruce

Last edited: May 17, 2015