Transplanting mature annuals?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Lynsey, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Lynsey

Lynsey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Dear all,

Sorry for another question that must seem a bit silly but I'm a complete novice so please bear with me!
    My flower bed is full of calendula, amaranthus, cornflower, dahlia and african daisies. When I planted them I think I put far too many plants in because they seem to be fighting for space. Also, now that they have matured the heights are not as I anticipated so I have very tall flowers in front and small ones in the back. I've dug a new flower bed which I am going to fill with a couple of young amaranthus and would like to transplant some of the flowers in my first bed. Is it possible to do this now they are mature? Sorry again for the stupid questions and thanks in advance for your help, Lynsey

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Its not a daft question. At least its not to me.

I only have real experience of two of the flowers on your list, calendula and african daisies (which I presume are osteospermum).

Personally, I'd move them if you want to, but, first I'd cut any open flowers heads off, because they'll die anyway and there's no point (in my opinion) in let the plant expend energy there after the move. A very thorough soaking would be in order first, then again after the move, and I wouldn't take loads out (in case you have less luck than I've had when moving plants about).

• Like Like x 1
    • Lynsey

Lynsey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Great thanks Clueless1. I decided to bite the bullet and go for it so I'll let you all know how I get on. So far so good but they've only been in the ground half an hour ha ha!

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596

Just don't let the soil dry out for today and they should be fine.

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        I would water them thoroughly every day for a week so they don't even have to think about how they are going to get water :) thereafter you can ease back gradualarly, say twice a week, and the as & when according to the weather. Initially I would water them daily regardless of whether it rains or not - unless you get a downpour of at least half an inch (leave a container outside so you know that you really did get that much ... it can rain hard, or all night, and still only give you a quarter of an inch at best ...)

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,899
        I never move annuals as it tends to weaken them but perennials are fine as long as they are kept watered as Clueless and Kristen have said. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
          Ratings:
          +31,839
          Lynsey, bless your heart - we've all been there. Sowed too much - too close and put the dwarfs at the back and the Giants at the front...:doh:
          Still get it wrong after all this time .
          All part of the fascination of Gardening..:blue thumb:.
          it does go beautifully well though sometimes,
          Jenny

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,099
          I'd not move any of them now, mostly annuals or short lived perennials.
          I dont think they would like being moved now.:)