Transplanting trees

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Charlie996, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
    Ratings:
    +857
    Due to unforeseen circumstances which is the deterioration of my wife's health we are sadly having to move to a bungalow. The sale of our house is agreed and we have had an offer acepted on a bungalow.

Last autumn I planted two lovely trees one being a William pear and the other a Japnese maple. The pear is about 8 feet and came here in a pot. The Maple is about 13 feet and also came in a pot and was the same height when planted.

The new owners say they have no interest in the trees and would remove them.

So given these trees have been in the ground for just 6 or 7 months is it feasible to re pot them for a period of time and re plant them ?

These were fairly expensive trees but it's not that that makes me inclined to take them its that they will be cut down anyway.

Thanks !

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    they should be easy to transplant back into pots as thats how they were planted not that long ago, if bare rooted I would of said no .

How much time have you got to move them ?

3. Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
    Ratings:
    +857
    I would imagine the move will be in about two months. Exchange of contracts in one month or so.
    So after exchange I would have a window of 3 to 4 weeks to get them into pots.. I really don't want to leave them to be cut down if that is what they really intend to do !

I don't think the new folk have any interest in gardening so quite a lot of the plants which we love and cherish will be going with us..

4. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352

I have moved house in August and found out the new couple hated gardening so I dug up 99% of the garden and it was was pot city , 90% of it survived so its worth a go, as you have mentioned they had been in pots and havnt been in that long as long as you get out that main root ball intact they should stand a good chance and keep well watered ...... would I do now or leave till later in the year ... plus I would wait for the contract to be signed just in case.

Spruce

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      I agree with Spruce and add what might be an idea in preparation would be to dig round the outside of the root balls and cut through any roots the trees have made since you planted them, effectively root pruning them in preparation for them moving. They will then be easier to move when the time comes but should the sale fall through then you aren't really any worse off if you get my drift.
      Again as Spruce has said you have nothing really to lose. If you move them and they don't survive well you tried. Once moved to their new homes then you'll need to keep watering daily in hot weather and spray the leaves of the trees as well which cuts down on transpiration. I too have moved large plants at less than ideal times and had very few failures if you are conscientious re their care post being moved. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1