Transplanting Vitis Coignetiae

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Apr 9, 2013.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I have 1 of the above which I planted about 6 years ago. It has done extremely well and covered an eyesore rather successfully. However, the eyesore has now got to the stage where repair has to be done which =s builder which =s large boots tramping around! I don't think the vine would have a hope of surviving lots of "twinkle toes" /cement etc so feel I have to attempt at least to move it. I'm presuming I will have to prune it right back (currently it has stems of at least 20 ft). Has anybody experience of transplanting these with success and if so any tips of what/what not to do would be helpful. Certainly up here in Scotland they are not that easy to source and I don't particularly want to have to start again with a young vine. As an insurance policy I thought I'd attempt to take cuttings, again any advice as to how would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,090
    I prune mine back from 20/30 feet every spring to about 10 feet so it fits on the pergola properly. Left unchecked it would have covered the house long since. So I would be tempted to reduce yours down to one main stem - you could cut this down to about a foot- so it wouldn't be in the workmen's way much. If space allowed, you could peel it off the eyesore and lay it back across a bit of the garden where the workmen may not be treading.

I think that you would find it would regrow enthusiastically even from a low stump, although a 6" layer of concrete over the top might see it off. Anyway, wait until the job is finished before despairing of it, don't dig it up or anything!.

• Like Like x 1
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Oh good, thanks Madahhlia. I had already peeled it off the wall, but can just see the workmen getting tangled up in it and them not being too impressed. I'll attack it tomorrow and prune it right down, then perhaps put something over the top with a "keep off" sign on it! I'll have to do the same with a Virginia Creeper but know that doesn't mind being given a serious hairdo. Hopefully the vine won't end up with "a 6" layer of concrete over the top of it"! I know when I 1st got the vine it sulked a bit and didn't do much but after the 1st year it duly got going.