Transplanting

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by AndrewBarratt, May 27, 2014.

1. AndrewBarratt

AndrewBarratt Gardener

Ratings:
    +55
    Hi folks,
    I'm no expert, most of what I plant seems to grow and I have my successes and failiures like everyone else but there is one thing that always puzzles me.
    When transplanting we're always told water well then prepare the new hole or pot, take out with care to avaid damaging the roots and stem, place and back fill in its new home.
    However by watering prior to removing from the cell or pot it makes it far more tricky to tease out of its cell and has to be prized out with a table fork or knife invariable damaging some roots. Allowing the soil to dry in the cell or pot prior to the transplant means the young plant comes out cleanly with the roots un-disturbed as a neat cube around the roots.
    So why are we advised to water first, surely watering after is a less risky option - or am I missing something?

2. Hairy Gardener

Hairy Gardener Official Ass. (as given by Shiney)

Official Ass.
    Ratings:
    +1,468
    I find that just a light watering the day before transplanting, helps keep the rootball together when moving from a cell tray or pot. I think it is advised so as to help prevent transplant shock, also makes sure that roots are ready to take up more.

There will be others along with greater knowledge than I, but thats is my take on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,894
      If they are young plants or seedlings I never water first. If they are going into larger pots then I water the soil in the new pot first and then make a hole in the soil for the plant. If the plant is larger and going into the ground I water the hole after digging it out and water again when the plant is in.

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,838
        You're missing something!!:heehee: If you water the plant in the cells first and leave it for a few minutes [and I do] you should find it easy to just squeeze the cell and push the plant out complete with compost and roots undamaged. The only time I have had difficulty in getting plants out of cells or pots is when the roots have grown through the bottom. If the plant is in a pot then I water it thoroughly, leave it for a few minutes, then putting my fingers either side of the plant I turn it upside down and the whole thing just slides out. You shouldn't have to use a fork to dig the plant out of a cell as it will more than likely not be a good start for the plant!!!

Drying the plant out is not really good for it and dry compost is notoriously hard to re-wet properly again.

Most gardening advice comes from plain old hard experience, learning from mistakes, common sense and any bad advice doesn't have a long life as it is quickly found out to be just that......bad advice.:coffee:

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • laurieuk1

laurieuk1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +16
          Plants will suffer far less if watered well before moving them. If either the plant or soil is dry this will attract the water away from the other

• laurieuk1

laurieuk1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +16
          This reads wrong the moist one will draw water from the dry one

• Agree Agree x 1