Treating Wooden Planters

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Greg C, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Greg C

Greg C Gardener

Ratings:
    +44
    I am making some wooden planters of various sizes out of old rough sawn pallet wood. They will be approx 1m long x 50cm wide x (between) 30-60cm deep. I intend to use 2 for veggies and 1 one for flowers.
    My question is, I have treated one with creocote. Is this ok to use? They will be lined with plastic and drainage underneath so no chemicals should get through. Or should I be treating them with shed paint rather?

2. andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
    Ratings:
    +2,369
    Looking at the safety data sheet for creocote it isn't the sort of stuff that you'd want to have on or in your body. That said, a lot of the hazards are before it has dried (see section 12, especially 12.4). I would use the planter for veggies if lined with polythene but its worth reviewing the risks and making your decision based on the risks.

https://www.barrettinepro.co.uk/uploads/assets/Documents/MSDS/CREOCOTE.pdf

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Hmmm! Agree with Andrews. Creosote can take months to thoroughly dry but I would not use it for edibles Greg C even if lined :) Much safer preservatives available now.

Why not use the creosoted planters for ornamentals and make fresh planters for your veg? Apart from growing our own we have very little control over the quality of food we consume so, for me, no sprays and no preservatives anywhere near it :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,369
        @Verdun creocote isn't quite as bad as creosote was. Cant remember what they took out of it but the hazards are still pretty bad.

But yes, there are some good treatments available now that are not as harmful.

I need to treat our fence this year and we use creocote on that (100 to 125L of the stuff !). Its a days job for three of us - all wearing protective gear

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Greg C

Greg C Gardener

Ratings:
          +44
          Thanks everyone. safety was my main concern. I have only treated one with creocote which will be used for flowers. I treated it about 6 weeks ago and I will only plant stuff in there in the about 2-3 months so hoping it has dried by then.

I will use the 2 untreated planters for my veg. What is the best treatment for them that will help the wood last? I don't want to go to all the trouble of building these and then they rot in 18 months time.

• andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,369
          I use a ronseal wax based treatment for decking. It soaks in a little and waterproofs the wood. Needs re-treating every year but seems to do a good job of protecting the wood

• Like Like x 1
          • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            Yes Creocote is the safer version of the old coal based Creosote . Still may not be a good idea for vegetable planters. If you want to finish your wooden planers with an oiled finish , that will fade naturally . Screwfix do a No Nonsense in three shades . £20 for 5 litres but it will cover huge areas . I would paint on one coat , then a light rub down , then two top coats.

No Nonsense Decking Oil Cedar 5Ltr

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            Andrew , I used the Ronseal water based oil last year . I know water based oil had my eyes spinning. Seems to have lasted really well . Going to recoat this spring , then hopefully this will last 2 years.
            Ronseal Ultimate Protection Decking Oil | For all Wooden Decks

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +84,370
            My personal view is, it aint nasty, it wont work, when it comes to wood preservative.
            Anything that is totally safe is likely to be totally useless:biggrin:

• Greg C

Greg C Gardener

Ratings:
            +44
            Thanks HarryS. I'll look at those options as both seem good.

Pete, I tend to feel the same, but I'd rather be able to eat my veg unpoisoned than deadly and have to recoat the planters often. I think the reocote is fine for my flower planters as they will be lined with plastic and weed fabric.