Tree Ferns from scratch

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by greenclaws25, May 13, 2012.

1. greenclaws25

greenclaws25 Apprentice Gardener

Spending far too much on plants!
    Ratings:
    +3
    Bought some tree fern spores off ebay because I thought I would be clever :ideaIPB: and grow some from scratch as theyre so expensive normally....Has anyone tried this with any success. Planted mine up in moist humus rich soil and there are signs of life!!!:hapydancsmil: No idea is im nurturing weeds though as I cant tell if they resemble ferns yet! :what:

2. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Hi greenclaws , tree fern are so expencive because they only grow 1 inch a year and usually the walue is about 1 pound per inch , about growing them look at this videos , I was looking to get some spores as well , but you can only harvest spores at the end of the season.

3. greenclaws25

Ratings:
    +3
    Wow thats much more complicated than the bung em in and see method I used....:oopss:
    and 3-5 months!!! I must be growing weeds as Ive only had them in 2 weeks lol. I will post an update if theres any progress
    Many thanks for the info :)

4. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    I`ll suggest to follow the process and put the compost in the microwawe , for 10 minutes , make sure that is wet , cool down and then the seeds , It`s not hard it`s just longer and after that i hope that your spores are fresh , i would be upset if after 4 months none will come out,.
    ps persistence is the key of success .
    or do like me , wait for the January and get one of those for £45 .
    [​IMG]

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,059
    I grew a few from spores once, Dicksonia antarctica.
    Went through all the stages of growth, reached quite a size, spread wise so had to plant it out with only a 6in stem, after about 10 yrs.

Died its first winter.

Never bothered since, they would not be suited to my garden anyway, too dry most summers, too cold most winters.

6. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Last week I`ve done a job in a school , first school I`ve ever seen with a beautieful garden , they had a preistoric garden , 4 giant dinosaurs and about 6/7 dicksonias , the tallest was around 6 feet ......they end up like the dinasours all dead , it was suck of a shame.
    mine is planted on the left side of my garden alway moist , but the coldest in winter .
    they need lots of protection for sure.

7. greenclaws25

Ratings:
    +3
    Thats a beauty Sal....Ill persist.... a most of my gardening is give it a go and see what happens anyway :) I usually forget what ive planted and get a nice surprise when something appears from nowhere :)

• Like Like x 1