tree ferns

Discussion in 'Trees' started by garden_fiend, Jun 18, 2008.

1. garden_fiend

garden_fiend Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    My tree ferns look rather yellow. Does anyone know what I should do with it?

2. DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Could be several reasons. A combination of direct sun and insufficient moisture is the usual culprit. The trunks of most tree ferns (Dicksonia antartica especially) need to be kept constantly moist as do the roots in the soil. Regular watering into the crown, often every day during dry, warm periods is important to keep the roots on the 'trunk' alive and healthy. Annual spring mulches of well-rotted garden compost will help provide nutrients and retain soil moisture. I usually fertilise my tree ferns with a seaweed based liquid feed at half recommended strength every 10 days or so from March through to the end of October. This keeps the fronds looking lush and rich green as well as build up reserves for the following year.

If your ferns are kept in large containers, regular potting on and additional feeding is vital. They become very high maintenance 'pot plants' and need daily attention throughout summer. Ideally they should be planted out so their basal roots can spread out into the soil unimpeded. There's a lot of rubbish talked about them not needing much root room, when in fact they need to make very substantial root-mats in order to thrive in the long term.

HTH

3. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The fronds of my tree fern are brown in some areas - fine in others. I cant work out what the problem is as it is planted near my pond with a water wick set close to the roots so that it gets well watered. It is very young, standing only 18 inches tall with a narrow trunk. The surrounding soil is very good and it is in a sheltered spot. My soil is neutral to acid. Could that be the cause?
    Last year it was in a pot and did quite well.
    I am stumped as i thought it would like the spot i prepared for it!

4. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Wilroda are the fronds with brown bits last years as it could be a bit of frost damage. If its this years fronds, when did they flush, was it after the frosts? Have they been allowed to dry out?

5. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tropical Gaz
    The fronds are this years,only three!! ... and I dont think they got the frost but may have done i suppose. It hasnt been allowed to dry out as it have always had its wick from the pond and that water is in good condition.It should also have soe humidity from the pond as well as its planted close to the edge. Frondwise, it seems very slow to produce any!! I shall see if I can get a pic on here to show you at some point today.
    Thanks

6. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    If its a new one it could have dried out in the store, id suggest keeping it very well watered and the occasional feed (use very dilute feed). A photo would be helpful. Keep it watered and hopefully it will take off for you next year. I had a new one from wilkinsons recently which had a double crown and that is not producing much yet.

7. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  8. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    I wouldnt worry about the brown bts, looks like its mainly on the older leaves. Which fern is it?

9. DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    That is Dicksonia squarrosa, one of the few tree ferns capable of suckering in the event of the main growth being killed. It needs shady, cool, very humid conditions in order to thrive and tends to 'burn' if not perfectly sited. Drying winds can cause the leaves to brown as well, especially when recently unfurled.

Your plant looks healthy enough despite the brown bits, so I wouldn't worry too much. D. squarrosa is not very hardy and can rarely tolerate more than a few degrees of air frost before the growing point is killed. Some protection will be needed during a cold winter. Grown well, with several slender trunks carrying full crowns of fronds, squarrosa is a very elegant tree fern and its small size makes it ideal when space is limited. Good luck with it.

10. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so much for that DaveP.
    It was a garden centre reduced plant which i took pity on for a fiver! I think it is in a good spot now but will have to tuck it up well for the winter. This is its first winter planted out -prior to that I had it in a pot in the greenhouse. To me it looks rather puny compared to other tree ferns but as you say, in time it could be an elegant little beastie!
    Thanks again

11. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again!
    With reference to my dicksonia squarossa as in the picture above.
    I really think i should lift it for the winter, but it is now firmly rooted by my pond!
    Should i attempt to did it out and pot it up in the greenhouse for the winter or leave it as it is ? if so, whats the best way to protect it.
    I am on the south coast so we dont get so many frosts BUT we may well do!
    Thanks in advance

12. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Fleece it Wilroda, Tye the leaves up for extra protection to the crown and fleece the whole tree, next spring when you see new fronds coming through you can cut the old one's off:thumb:

13. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that! will go out tomorrow and get some fleece. Would bubble wrap do or would it encourage rotting?

14. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    And keep it wet at all times during the winter. Drought will kill this TF much quicker than the cold or wet !:) I have a few of these and they are pretty small by comparison. They weather well but hate being dry.:thumb:

15. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks banana man. I will keep it wet at all times. Sounds as if its a tricky plant to overwinter