Tree Grafting and Grape Problems

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by jon.clem, Aug 4, 2024.

1. jon.clem

jon.clem Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm new to this list so I thought I ought to introduce myself. I am in my seventies and have recently retired and hope to enjoy more time in the garden.

I do have a couple of issues that I would appreciate some advice on, we live in Felixstowe and enjoy a good climate.

a), I was given a peach tree a few years ago but despite all my efforts it suffers from serious peach leaf curl on an annual basis. As mentioned, I have tried most chemical free suggestions and I have now given up on it as it doesn't produce fruit. However, it has a very healthy and vigorous root stock and I have read of some gardeners grafting, not just one but several different varieties of fruit tree. It seems bizarre but I have seem pictures of trees with apples, pears, plums and even kiwi fruit on the same tree. I wonder if anyone has tried this or has some advice on grafting generally – it does seem a pity to dispose of such a vigorous root stock.

b), My other problem concerns a grape vine, I'm afraid I don't know the variety as I took a cutting about forty years ago, (yes 40!), it may be Black Hamborg? However until 3 of 4 years ago it fruited brilliantly, I was able to pick bunches of grapes from late August until November. The vine is in a conservatory with roots outside but the last 3 or 4 years it started to suffer a lot more fungal type of attack attracting fruit fly and leading to very minimal growth and most grapes splitting. I suspect that its useful life may be over but I just wondered if vines are able to survive over long periods and this might be simply a treatable disease.

I would be very grateful if any forum members are able to offer any advice on either of the above issues.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,981
    Hi, I've never seen trees from different families growing on the same root, it's normal to stick to fruit of the same family, you peach tree is part of the Prunus family, so amongst others plums, peaches, cherries, apricot, mostly stone fruit.
    Apples and pears all have their own specific rootstocks.

Regarding the grape vine, they are in general very long lived, but prone to lots of problems as you are finding.
    Maybe a winter wash would help.

3. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,551
    The vine at Hampton Court is over 200 years old, some vineyards have patches of vines well over 50 years old. Your grape vine could have suffered with the recent variable weather, 2022 was very hot and dry, last year rain began in July and continued. With a lot of fruit if the watering is sporadic as the fruit ripens then they are inclined to split.
    Perhaps prune it back a bit more this winter and increase ventilation in summer.
    As for your peach rootstock you could possibly graft a plum, greengage, apricot or damson onto it, but not a Kiwi.
    Onto a suitable rootstock you could graft several different varieties of apple, or pear. Try and select varieties with similar growth rates and compatible flowering times.

4. Stephen Southwest

Stephen Southwest Gardener

Ratings:
    +110
    I didn't know plum and peach will graft together - thanks for that - it's got me thinking...

My peach has leaf curl each year which prevents it fruiting successfully.
    I've always assumed that if I finally got round to keeping the rain off over winter, it would reduce the curl sufficiently for it to fruit... hmmm - maybe I'm putting off doing it for fear of finding out it won't work...

...and I found this:
    Which Fruit Trees To Graft Together (And How to Do It)

5. jon.clem

jon.clem Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pete, Nigel J and Stephen Southwest,
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond and offering such helpful and knowledgeable advice. I really appreciate it.
    It looks like I can graft similar varieties onto my root stock so next Spring I will try a plum, an almond and perhaps a "leaf curl resistant" peach.
    Stephen, I did try covering my tree with plastic sheeting from November until Spring to stop the dreaded curl but it appeared again worse than ever - thanks for the link for grafting.
    What a great forum this is - thanks again!
    jon.clem

6. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,551
    I have seen peaches and nectarines grown successfully at RHS Rosemoor espaliered against a wall, they put a plastic rain shelter over them in late winter/early spring. They also clean up any fallen leaves from around the base, as the fungi lurks overwinter in the fallen foliage and then the rain disturbs the spores.

7. Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
    +367
    I was given a couple of peaches and nectarines last year although they haven't ventured out of the greenhouse yet but I can recommend apricots if you are having problems. I have grown "early moorpark" for around a decade now, it's never suffered any problems and fruits quite well if the temperatures allow. It should be easily available if you are buying scions.

• Like Like x 1