Tree ID & Pruning Advice Please

Discussion in 'Trees' started by intel, May 1, 2015.

1. intel

intel Gardener

Ratings:
    +497
    Could someone help in saying what tree this is please, I am sure that it keeps
    its leaves during the Winter........but its now over grown it space and is over
    hanging into the pavement.

We have two of these trees, the one in the foreground needs thinning out and also
    its height also needs to be reduced....the one is the background is a bit smaller but
    most of the wood seems to be dead in the middle, I was thinking of maybe reducing
    the height by at least 1/3

Would this be the right time of year to prune these trees and can anyone
    give any pruning advice please.

20150501_154153.jpg

20150501_154229.jpg

20150501_154244.jpg

20150501_154251.jpg

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    The photos of the leaves aren't very clear but it looks like Field Maple. Maybe you can Google images of Field Maple and check.

If so, you can prune at any time. They're pretty tough customers so can cut back as much as you want.

3. Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
    Ratings:
    +10,740
    I think they're hawthorn (Crataegus). They're tough enough to put up with pretty much any amount of pruning.

Just a thought, they should be coming in to flower within the next two or three weeks, so unless it's really urgent, maybe you could leave it for another month or so before pruning them?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      I would agree with hawthorn, think you can make out the flower buds on one of the photos.

Personally I would be inclined to enjoy the flowers, then remove only anything that is in the way as after the flowers there will be plenty of berries for the birds.

Then around February next year you could prune them quite hard if desired, they wont mind it and will soon reshoot :)

All depends how urgently you need to prune them?

• westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
      Ratings:
      +598
      I had my Hawthorne pruned on Friday. My tree surgeon says it's a good time for an established tree.

• intel

intel Gardener

Ratings:
      +497
      Thanks for the advice, I have thinned the tree out, it wasn't urgent but the weekend is the only time I get to do these types of jobs, I left some small branches to still give the tree some
      height but still undecided if the top of tree would look better if all the branches were
      at the same height?

Not touched the other tree yet, but worries me as the centre of the tree is dead and
      also looks like it has wood worm, but I know little about trees :(

20150503_143604.jpg

20150503_143608.jpg

20150502_133137.jpg

• Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
      Ratings:
      +10,740
      In the case of the tree you've already pruned, I'd be inclined to leave it like that for now. If you cut off all the remaining branches at the same height you will find the whole tree looks an unnatural, 'artificial' shape, whereas if you leave it, the tree will naturally produce new growth to fill in the gaps in the crown, giving a more natural, balanced appearance.

In the case of the second tree, simply cut out the dead branch just above the point where you can still see live growth. It would probably be a good idea to then shorten a few of the remaining live branches on the left hand side of the tree (as seen in your photo), otherwise it will have a very lopsided appearance, with all its weight leaning to that side. Hawthorn are fairly tough, so there's a good chance that it will recover and put on plenty of new growth after you've cut out the dead branch. :dbgrtmb: