Tree looks infected (Need Advice)

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Daniel Harden, Jul 20, 2024.

1. Daniel Harden

Daniel Harden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!

Me and my wife have noticed a lot of leaves on a tree in a garden starting to discolour and we are wondering if it is infected. (See attached photo)

We currently have a pigeon nesting in it so we do not know whether this has caused it.

Any advice on what to do to save the tree if it is infected?

Thanks! Screenshot_20240720_092524_cn.danatech.xingseus.jpg

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,827
    What type of tree is it? Further information on location and age of tree might be of use.
    Any chance of a photo of the whole tree, a close up of a leaf and a better version of the photo above.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,891
      I cannot see clearly from your pic. what the problem is but a lot of mature trees are showing signs of stress this year. Due to the erratic rain fall, temperature changes etc. I have a quince which has lost most of its leaves due to the draught conditions earlier just as it was coming into full growth. The pigeons will have no effect on the tree. I doubt if the tree has a disease.
      Drought, extreme temperature changes and excessive wet will affect it. I would keep my fingers crossed and hope it recovers next year.
      You could check the soil around the base to see if it is dry. It would take a huge amount of water, like a hose running on it constantly day and night for at least a couple of days, to keep a tree of that size going but might be worth a punt if the tree is precious.
      If you are not on a water meter or have a hose pipe ban.

• Tidemark

Tidemark Gardener

Long retired
      Ratings:
      +836
      I can't tell how high up or low down the damage is, or how big the plant is, (big enough for pigeons to nest in) but I doubt very much that the pigeons have done that.

Have you been using any kind of patio cleaner or weed killer in the area on a windy day?

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +93,108
      Difficult from that picture to draw any real conclusions but often we start seeing the effects of insect attack around now, even if the insects have now gone.

• Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
      +415
      We regularly get pigeons nesting in our tree and the only issue is the occasional snapped branched and a whole lot of crap. The leaves below the nest get properly boulder dashed and look similar to your picture. It does no harm and probably benefits the tree with some free fertiliser.