Tree Peony Planting Help !

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Spazzer, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Spazzer

Spazzer Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    This is my first post so would appreciate any help, I have been sent a tree peony that stands about 3 feet tall and looks dead but am sure is just dormant, could anyone tell me how to plant this tree and when to do it, also should I stand the root in water and should I plant out now or wait for the frosts and cold weather to pass ?
    Any help would be appreciated ! :dh:

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hiya Spazzer,

Welcome to GC-I am already predisposed towards you, your first post being about peonies.

I always love to read the peony posts, I am a bit besotted about them myself. They are easily (to me at least) THE most beautiful flowers in the entire world.

They do, as you say, look dead at the moment, and you are right to assume it is merely dormant.

Is it bare root or in a pot, if so what size pot is it in at present?

Do you know which type of tree peony it is ( a name)?

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Welcome to the forum Spazzer.
    Your tree peony will be dormant just now and the ground is very cold and frozen.
    If the peony is bare rooted I would just plant it in a pot just now and wait for better weather.
    If it's in a pot just keep it until the ground is fit for planting then dig a hole deep and wide enough to take the plant, scatter in some bonemeal and compost, plant the peony and firm it in. If the ground is dry give it a good drink.
    I hope it will do well for you.

4. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    sjust to add plant it so the crown is burried a little deep. This is the complete opposite to normal peo.ies which should be planted shallow. The reason is that tne vast majority of tree peonies are grafted to a herbacouse stock by burrying deep the tree peony sion will grow its own roots combined with the herbacuous stock a stronger plant is produced. Sorty if i have confused you tne jist being plant deep

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126