Tree peony

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by amymac78, Mar 23, 2015.

1. amymac78

amymac78 Gardener

Ratings:
    +130
    Hi all

I've been growing a tree peony in a large pot (45cm diameter), I got it as a bare root but it doesn't seem to be growing (much) or flowering (at all lol) ?? It looks healthy enough and has new leaves growing now but I'm wondering if there is anything else I should be doing?

Any help gratefully received!!!! :)

IMAG1556.jpg

2. Gwen austin

Gwen austin Gardener

Tea technician
    Ratings:
    +238
    Hi Amy, did you plant this to the same depth the bare root was grown to, it needs full sun but are hardy enough to tolerate most mishaps, soil depth is worth a look though.

3. amymac78

amymac78 Gardener

Ratings:
    +130
    Hi Gwen, yes I did, might have to have another look though :scratch:

4. CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,523
    How long have you had it?

• Like Like x 1
    • amymac78

amymac78 Gardener

Ratings:
      +130
      I've had it about 3 years now Charlie

• Gwen austin

Gwen austin Gardener

Tea technician
      Ratings:
      +238
      It does look healthy but I would expect it to be a bit larger if not flowering. It's a hardy plant. Check it's in the sun and not too acid soil as this maybe a factor. Has it grown as it looks like new shoots appearing at the base?

• Like Like x 1
      • amymac78

amymac78 Gardener

Ratings:
        +130
        Its definitely in the sun but not too sure on the soil.....
        There are new shoots at the base and ones coming up around the base so is growing, just not up!

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
          +12,352
          Its a nice looking plant and looks healthy , if its been in the pot that long dont worry if grafted or not with the other thread they were new plants just about to be planted.

1st may I ask what compost yours is growing in as if not flowering I think that will be the problem , it will need a john innes no 3 soil based compost if staying in the pot long term something you cab replace early next year about February m, but what you could do now is feed with a liquid tomato fertiliser or some rose granular feed.

tree peonies like to be in the border not a pot and its letting you know this I had the same thing and mine dint flower last year and I eventually planted out in May last year and its has buds on all the growth

Spruce

• Like Like x 2
          • amymac78

amymac78 Gardener

Ratings:
            +130
            Thanks Spruce, I've no idea what compost its in to be honest, I cant remember! I'll give it a feed and replace next year with the no.3 soil, fingers crossed it helps it along!
            I'm in a rented property at the moment so many of my plants are in pots, I don't want to leave them behind if I move :frown:

• Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Spruce

Ratings:
              +12,352
              dont blame you for keeping in the pots its something lots of us have done on here in the past with moving etc if you use a John innes no 3 that should keep it happy for at least 3 years and feeding after that with the rose granular feed or the tom food will make a huge difference

Only feed until the beginning of June and then stop as they put all the new growth on in the next 6 to 8 weeks then just stop no new leaves etc , but make sure it doesn't dry out over the summer

Happy to help out as they are so special and need TLC at times

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
              • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                +8,083
                I attempt to grow these damn things too! I grow mine in massive half whisky barrels on a patio as it is the most sheltered spot I have and doubt they'd take very kindly to being too much out in the open here. Mine ( I have 6 all different) don't put on huge amounts of growth/send up lots of new shoots) bar 1 but they do actually flower really well. Mine are South facing, mulched with loads of rotted horse manure each Spring and I am pretty religious about watering them. That said 1 of the Peonies did grow A LOT and it became difficult to water it enough. Upshot was it's flower buds didn't open. This 1 has been moved with great care:) into the most sheltered bed I have. Fingers crossed it will be ok. It has certainly survived last winter as is showing plenty of signs of life.

Yours certainly looks healthy enough. Pity the soil level is a bit low in the pot. I'd be tempted to try and lift the plant out of the pot, put in more growing medium and replant it. Whether the stems of the plants are being shaded by the rim of the pot is affecting the flowering I wouldn't know. As others have said, maybe give it a feed and be sure to really water it in dry weather. They are such gorgeous plants they are worth the effort...I think!:) This is my favourite and the flowers are HUGE. mothers plants 176.JPG

• Like Like x 4
                • amymac78

amymac78 Gardener

Ratings:
                  +130
                  Hi Silu, that's exactly what I was thinking but not sure if I'd do more damage or good?

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                  +8,083
                  Hi amymac78, if you lay the pot if you can on it's side and gently tug at the plant holding onto the stem by the soil level. Have a sheet or strong poly bag lying by the pot so you can drag the plant onto the sheet. Is this making sense!? With any luck the peony should come out without too much bother. I would tend to attempt this when the soil is relatively dry. Once you have hopefully slid the plant onto the sheet or similar fill the pot up a bit with more growing medium then lift the sheet and place it in the pot. Rock the plant 1 way and then tother so as to remove the sheet leaving the plant in situ. Hell this sounds bonkers. It would be so much easier to show you rather than give written instructions! The method I no doubt have failed miserably to describe is really useful when moving very big/heavy plants. You may not need to use the sheet method if the plant isn't too big, it's difficult to tell it's size from the photo. Aim as far as possible to not disturb the root ball and once back in the pot give the Peony a good drink. Good luck and don't blame me if it goes pear shaped:).

• Like Like x 1
                  • Spruce

Ratings:
                    +12,352
                    if me I would just top dress the top :snork:

• LyndaG

LyndaG Super Gardener

Ratings:
                    +1,390
                    I have a far more important question @amymac78. Where did you get a huge pink plant pot from please?

• Like Like x 1