Tree Recommendations for Privacy

Discussion in 'Trees' started by RM98, Apr 29, 2024.

1. RM98

RM98 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    Hi all,

I’m new here so first of all, hello! I’m new to gardening and based in Yorkshire.

The house we’ve recently moved into has quite a large back garden with lots of possibilities so we’re currently working on a plan for that but at the front, the previous owners had a load of hardcore put down and compacted with decorative stones over the top as they occasionally needed to park their car on it.

Digging it all up to try and add some beds isn’t a particularly appealing thought so because the house is white and we’ve painted the fence blue, we’ve decided to continue with a bit of Mediterranean theme using containers for all the planting.

Anyway, that’s the background and there is a reason I’ve given some context because we’re looking to plant 2 or 3 trees along the fence line for privacy (3ft high picket style fence) as the houses across the street look straight into our living room from the upstairs level so I’m looking to find some contenders that fit in with the Mediterranean theme.

There are a few other requirements which might make it a bit difficult though …

1) Heavy clay soil which doesn’t drain well
    2) Exposed to wind - we live in a very flat part of Yorkshire in a village surrounded by arable farmland so can the wind can whip through the garden
    3) The trees will be planted about 5m from the house so I don’t want anything with wide spreading roots that might cause any structural damage over time
    4) For all year round screening, I’d like something which doesn’t drop its leaves
    5) We only want foliage from about 6.5 feet and above so that we still get light into the house and we can still look out onto the village from the window

I should probably add that the garden faces south east.

Not sure if this is all completely unrealistic but I thought I’d ask! Does anyone know of any trees which might fit the bill?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,334
    Hello and welcome to GC :) Sad to say, I don't think any truly mediterranean trees will survive those harsh conditions. Eleagnus angustifolia looks like an olive but isn't evergreen. Lovely, scented flowers in spring, though. Arbutus unedo is a fantastic tree but would probably need more shelter to do well. Perhaps going for deciduous trees with good winter bark colour is the answer? Or something like pleached copper Beech?

• Like Like x 1
    • RM98

RM98 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +20
      Thank you for the welcome as well as your reply!

It doesn’t need to be a true Mediterranean tree - that theme is more just for inspiration really to try and tie it all together.

The copper beech looks like a good shout. They don’t need to make a full high up solid screen though, just 2 or 3 strategically placed trees with some spacing would block the view of the windows which overlook our house.

I’ve previously looked at tree privet and ornamental pear (Pyrus calleryana ‘Chanticleer’) but each had downsides as I’m sure most do!

• Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,769
      There's the most gorgeous tree, not technically Mediterranean but it could pass as one. Yellowish green delicate leaves, faint sweet scent.

I had it in a previous garden. I'll see if I can remember what it was called. The name Robin springs to mind but its not exactly that.

EDIT. I did a bit of googling. The tree I'm thinking of was likely Robinia pseudoacacia.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • RM98

RM98 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +20
        Oh wow, that is very nice indeed. Will definitely have a further look into that - thank you for the suggestion :smile:

• On the Levels

On the Levels Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,502
        Azarra serrata is evergreen with clusters of yellow flowers that are fragrant late winter early spring. It can be pruned back but does suffer from prolonged winds but then bounces back.
        DSCN1223.JPG

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1