Tree Selection Advice

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by R1ch4rd, Jul 23, 2024.

1. R1ch4rd

R1ch4rd Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I recently removed a bamboo planter that served as a privacy screen. While it grew quickly and provided the needed privacy, the maintenance was too demanding, so I decided to get rid of it.

I'm now seeking suggestions for trees that could offer the same privacy. Ideally, I'm looking for evergreen trees that don't drop their leaves, require little to no maintenance and can grow tall enough to extend above the fence height. The planting area is 5 meters long by 60cm deep in front of the fence.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
    Ratings:
    +562
    In what way were they too high maintenance? Am only asking as that might help inform our recommendations. Was it the leaf drop?

Just be aware that even evergreens drop their leaves, they just do it gradually over the year with maybe a few more at certain times.

Also are you happy for something that spills out of the bed as it matures or does it need to be something you can keep within the bed width?

Finally, which way does the bed face e.g. North, south? and how is it for sun etc. All will help us make better recommendations. I’m assuming the bed is open to the ground underneath I.e. the roots can extend below the raised bed?

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,679
    I think whatever you go for some kind of trimming or pruning will be required if you want to keep within a certain height and width.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • R1ch4rd

Ratings:
      +0
      They were high maintenance because they grew so fast, so from march to sept I am constantly thinning them out and if I don't keep on top of it it gets out of control. Also cleaning up the leaves.

For the tree, I'm hoping for something that will grow in a raised planter so it's contained. The planter will be about 60cm square and 60cm tall without the legs. They will grow next to the fence and it gets sun from around midday, although the fence would block some of the sun but the tree will hopefully be taller than the fence. The fence line in the image is south west to north east facing. Thanks

• Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
      Ratings:
      +562
      Oh, misread and thought you ere planting in the existing planter. 60 x60 is too small for a tree, any chance you could plant it in the ground?

Trees for smaller gardens / RHS Gardening

Link is too an RHS list of small trees plus advice on practicalities

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +91,679
      Wouldn't the planters just fall over in strong winds if you're look for a similar height to the bamboo.

But I agree if you want trees of that size they will need more root space.

• R1ch4rd

Ratings:
      +0
      I could, but in future if it is a problem and I need to remove it it's easier if it's in a planter. Also the roots won't cause damage to the surrounding area. It could also help control the size of the tree?

• ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
      Ratings:
      +3,245
      I agree 60x60 is very small for a tree that you want to grow to 3m plus. You might get away with a large shrub like a Fatsia. They don't need extensive roots and can grow to over 4m. They are evergreen, though they drop some leaves in spring as new ones come through. Down here in the south, they flower freely during winter, but then these turn to dark berries which do drop off through summer creating a mess. (The berries stain clothing indelibly.)

Overall, Fatsias are pretty easy though. Don't go for a variegated one as these are not reliably hardy.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
        Ratings:
        +562
        It’s too small for a tree. I would suggest 60 x 100 as the smallest. Tree or shrub roots aren’t going to do any damage unless too near a building and/or if you choose an inappropriate variety (something which will be too large when mature).

All of those on the RHS would be fine in the ground and will grow more healthily and be less maintenance

• Agree Agree x 1
        • R1ch4rd

Ratings:
          +0
          Thanks for the suggestion, I can do a 60x100. What are your thoughts on Flamingo or Bay trees? I'd like the trunk clean up to the fence height and then allow it to spread and leave.

• Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
          Ratings:
          +562
          Bay should be fine, am not familiar with flamingo trees but as a willow I suspect they like lots of moisture so might struggle in a container

• Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +1,638
          I would suggest you forget planting any kind of tree if you do not want to clear up leaves and have such a small area available. If you want non maintainance screening would a panel or two of trellis panels along the top of the existing fence work? Then you could plant an evergreen climber on it, which would still need attention ie. training, pruning, clearing up leaves. Evergreen anything drop their leaves all year round instead of all dropping off in the autumn. No plant of any kind is totally non maintainance.
          Bay trees grow into huge trees, no experience of Flamingo Willows, I would guess they do eventually make large trees.

• Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Keen Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,953
          I have a bay tree in my garden in France. The previous owners never pruned it and it's huge.

What about evergreen shrubs? There is eleagnus, griselinia, cotoneaster, ilex, viburnum tinus etc. I have a choisya but it is probably too wide for that space. I think that whatever you decide on it will still need to be pruned.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +91,679
            Have a look at pleached trees.
            But again might need more maintenance than you want, but I think it's probably what you need.

• Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +2,859
            I'm surprised that you found bamboo to be high maintenance @R1ch4rd. I have several varieties in my garden, they only send up new canes during June/July for about 6 weeks and then that's it until the following year. They are easy to prune at the base with secateurs or loppers. Large shrubs often require a ladder and power tools to maintain them, often more than once a year.

A Bay tree/s would be an option to consider though. They are quick growing once established. I have a three stemmed one in my mixed hedge which was bought as a tiny plant in the plants for containers section at the local garden centre about 10 years ago. After a year it needed to go in the ground. I removed the lower branches as it grew, to raise the canopy. A couple of weeks ago I reduced the height from 12 feet to 4 feet as it was getting too large to maintain without risking another fall off a ladder :thud:. Regular maintenance will be required to keep it the height you want though.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2024