Trentham Gardens

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by Victoria, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,708
    I have just read a fascinating article on these gardens with beautiful photographs, the Italian Gardens originally designed by Capability Brown, in Staffordshire.

Has anyone been there and if so, what is your opinion? Not that I'll probably every get to see it myself. :(

http://www.trentham.co.uk/gardens.html

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,518
    Hi there LoL. I stayed at Trentham Gardens some years ago in my tourer, not sure if this is still in operation as a campsite. They have a large lake (which I fished) but my overall impression was that it was run-down. Like I said, this was some years ago (maybe 10 or so), so it may well be much improved by now. It certainly had potential and looked like it was great in it's day. Cheers...freddy.

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,708
    :) Hi there Freddy.

You may have stayed there before the estate was sold in 1996. Since then it has taken 10 years and £100 million to do the restoration .... so it has perhaps changed drastically since then.

4. chengjing

chengjing Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, nice, it is not far away from where I live, must visit this summer.

5. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    My son lives near Trentham Park and we have been there a few times
    Very clean and lots of things going on, there are restaurants,shops and of course the garden centre which is massive well worth a visit
    We always walk around from the left side as you go in from the car parks, here you will pass the mini train terminal, and further on you will come to some really nice tea rooms,these are next to the boat house where you can take trips around the lake, behind this there is a monument to the Duke of Sutherland a fair bit of history with that.
    If you walk down this side of the lake you will come to some bird hides which are great for the bird lovers of you and you are right by the Heron Island with really big birds in the trees yes the herons roost and nest in these trees
    If you carry on from here you will come to the Italian Gardens again a lovely walk
    [​IMG]

6. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    There was something else that I forgot to mention THE MONKEY FOREST this has to be visited it is set in 60 acres and all the animals are free not in cages a wonderful roam free invironment. Barbary Macaques apes are the biggest majority in there and they will happily interact with each other and play in the trees with the swings etc that have been put there for them and of course will pose foe photographs
    The shopping village is also fully open now, all in log cabins, great atmosphere with all the top names
    There is also a premier inn on site for those who want to stay overnight
    When we were there in July there it was quite busy so we sat down at the tea shop and had five mins then all of a sudden a group of Grey Lag Geese came up to our grandaughter good job she had her camera
    I hope this little write up is helpful
    [media]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff62/GOLFELSIEMAY/IMG_0055-1-1.jpg[/media]