Tresco (our 2008 visit)

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by Tropical_Gaz, May 4, 2009.

1. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Another series of photos that I have just got round to uploading to Webshots (can anyone see a theme here).

Tresco is the second largest of the Scilly Isles, and home to the fabulous Tresco Abbey Gardens. The gardens were established in the 19th century proprietor by Augustus Smith. The garden is proected by tall hedges all trees to give it an amazing microclimate.

We flew in by helicopter from Penzance. The short trip is a big part of the day, and was my first helicopter ride. Flying out was over Lands End, and the return along the coast.

[​IMG]
    Ariving at Tresco.

[​IMG]
    The airstrip on the island is a rather basic affair.

[​IMG]
    One enters the garden across a small blue bridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Abbey Ruins look a little 'stage managed' but are a dramatic backdrop for everything else.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now if only we could get CIDP's to grow like this in the rest of the UK

We took several hundred photos at Tresco - a significant selection are now on our Webshots account.

Abbey Garden Website
    Webshots Gallery

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Brilliant T G you have given me a yearning to go back.:thumb:

3. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    A stunning place indeed. A little to far for a day trip from Yorkshire. Thats a shame

4. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Wow it looks absolutely stunning:gnthb: I really cant wait till I've saved enough up to go:luv:

5. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    We tend to have a week each year in St Ives. Last year was the first time I had been to Tresco, but loved it, by far the most amazing garden I have visited in the UK, and in all probability the best I have seen anywhere.

We had said we wouldnt go again this year due to the cost, but I had an email with a special offer of the return helicopter and entrance into the gardens for a 2 week period in May. So in a fortnight we are going again.

Having heard about the dreadful winter Cornwall had it will be interesting to see what gardens have been affected, although I believe Tresco only went down to about minus2C, so should be largely fine - I hope! I'll do an update later in the month when we get back.

6. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Enjoy your trip T G look forward to your update.:thumb:

7. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +705
    Hi TG, I love your photos- we try to visit Cornwall most years (missed last year] and I would love to vist Tresco especially on a helicopter as I have never flown and I know it would be scary. How long does the flight take? I think it is worth every penny to see such lovely tropical plants that seem to grow so well in Cornwall.
    I think that will be my next goal!

8. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    The Helicopter ride was about 20 minutes, and was an amazing part of the day. I had never flown by helicopter before, so was a little nervous, but really loved it in the end. I was surprised just how noisy it was.

It is possible to get to Tresco by boat but I think the trip is more like a couple of hours, however it's a significantly cheaper way to get there.

9. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +705
    :gnthb: Hi TG,
    20 mins isn't too long to be terrified I guess!
    My mum and dad went by boat and my mum was seasick so that out me off that :lollol:

We have seen lots of Cornish gardens including Heligan but I would love to visit Tresco.

10. scillygirl

scillygirl Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Great photos, TG, looking at them made me miss my old home! Hope to get there this summer.

11. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Which of the islands was home? I really enjoyed sorting the photos out myself, was a nice reminder - im hoping the poor winter this year didnt do too much damage.

12. scillygirl

scillygirl Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    It was Tresco. I used to take all those sub-tropical plants for granted and enjoyed seeing traditional gardens on the mainland with roses and delphiniums! I see the place from a different perspective now, and I certainly miss those blue skies here in rainy (and hail today!) Kerry. My dad lives on Tresco, and he didn't mention any winter damage. The garden there tends to recover quickly from setbacks anyway.