1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Trimming leggy foliage of strawberries in crowded planter to improve air circulation

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Aldo, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,318
    Some of my Elsanta June bearing strawberries are very crowded in their planter.
    This is my fault. I repotted a smaller and crowded tub on top of the planter without breaking it, so to not disturb existing roots, but perhaps I should have tried and separate the plants first, so to space them more.
    The soil of the planter is covered in agricultural membrane to protect the fruits from rot.

Now they are growing very leggy, I guess because the leaves touch each other.
    That also happened to some extent with the plants on the sides, perhaps because the leaves are touching the planter itself.
    That is lots of foliage and energy directed to make it, plus it cuts sunlight and reduces air circulation, I think.

Would it be a good idea to remove some of the foliage to let more light in?
    Thanks for any advice!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,045
    Leave the foliage alone they are the plant's power source creating sugars to plump up your fruit.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,318
      Thanks John, I will sheathe the scissors then :)

Out of curiosity, what do you think a reasonable compromise would be when spacing the plants, to keep productivity high without cramming them too much?
      Or perhaps it depends on the strawberry type?

Last year the plants were not established yet. It was a bit silly of me to assume they would stay the same size the next year, I guess.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,045
      You look to have them about right - not too crammed in. Most plants need their own space so if the leaves touch their neighbour's they are too close. I tend to cram things in more and that gives more yield, I think you have to do that in a garden to maximise productivity.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,318
        Thanks! I will try and do that with the next plants.

• Friendly Friendly x 1