Trimming Rosemary

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by NoviceGardener2023, May 18, 2024.

1. NoviceGardener2023

NoviceGardener2023 Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    Hi,

Moved into a new build house in an estate last year and out the front the builders had planted a few plants ( a bit of a clean-up needed there which is another days work)a rosemary bush was planted in the patch.
    So maybe 10 months on now, the Rosemary bush seems to have lost its shape looks like a cat or something sat on it :D.

Some of the ends of the branches are bending. The OH trimmed a few of them back but it still looks quite flairy.
    To add, the area where the rosemary is, is north facing and gets little or no sun.
    Some flowers have appeared more noticeable in recent weeks on the bush.

What should we do in terms of best practice? I have attached a few pics but hard to get a good pic of what it looks like to the naked eye currently.

Thank you :)

IMG_20240518_175926.jpg IMG_20240518_175916.jpg IMG_20240513_132422.jpg IMG_20240513_132419.jpg

2. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,938
    Rosemary grows best in a sunny position in well drained soil so if you have a suitable location elsewhere it would be better to move it. They do respond well to quite severe pruning too so you can reduce the size of your plant to encourage bushier, upright growth. I had a large one here which I used to prune with a hedge trimmer!

• Like Like x 1
    • BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
      Ratings:
      +1,535
      I have rosemary growing in light shade for most of the day and a bit of sun in the afternoon West facing in dry clay. It is doing a little too well for my taste.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
      • NoviceGardener2023

NoviceGardener2023 Gardener

Ratings:
        +22
        Thanks, back garden gets the sun in most parts but soil is poor draining/moist, which I am separately trying to improve.
        Would rather leave it where it is (front garden) for now at least, maybe look to move it next year. In fairness it has grown well where it currently is.

What is severe pruning for a Rosemary bush? How far back should I cut it? Do I run a risk of killing it if I am too severe?

Thank you

• Plantminded

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,938
        You could reduce the size of the stems by a third to start with but let it finish flowering first. They also grow well in containers so that’s another consideration. There are some prostrate varieties of Rosemary that grow outwards and downwards but I don’t think yours is one of them, although it could be! They all prefer sun and well drained or even impoverished soil.

• Like Like x 1
        • BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
          Ratings:
          +1,535
          The prostrate ones aren't so hardy. I lost one in a fairly mild winter - but it was in a container. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
            Ratings:
            +4,438
            I'd agree about moving it. Ultimately, it will do better if it isn't trying to get enough light during the growing season. If the soil's rich it will also tend to be more lush, and therefore a bit lax, so pruning it back will help. They get woodier as they mature too, so keeping it trimmed is helpful.
            I always had to pot it up when I grew it, so that it could be overwintered undercover, but if it's managing winters where you are, it would just need a better site to thrive. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +122,365
              To be honest, it looks quite alright where it is. You don't want to let it get too big in that small bed. They tend to get a bit unruly and don't mind pruning so I would leave it there and just trim off where it gets in the way or starts crowding other plants.

They generally are quite tough and survive quite well in the ground. Now is the time to do the pruning, just as it finishes flowering and that will give it sufficient time to harden off before winter.

We have prostrate and upright ones and they certainly survive our recent hard winters where some of our other plants and trees have died during the last two winters. Some of our plants are well over 50 years old.

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Plantminded

Retired
                Ratings:
                +2,938
                I have found that both upright and prostrate varieties of Rosemary start to shed their leaves regularly after a few of years. As the plants get larger, if they are near paths or paving the sweeping up becomes a chore and I now only grow a small upright variety in a container.

Last edited: May 19, 2024
              • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
                Ratings:
                +4,438
                The problem with it here is that it gets quite soft and lush through summer, because it's wet, but warm enough, for lots of growth. Then the winter arrives, and they can't cope.
                I expect if we continue to get the warm winters we've had for the last few years here, that might change, but it's why I'd always try and keep it pruned if I was growing it now, to avoid that soft growth suddenly being adversely affected by the temps dropping in autumn, and then the wet cold of winter, resulting in woody stems. It's clay soil here too, so it tends to be more nutritious, which probably isn't ideal. Previously, it was simply too cold and wet in winter for it to do well enough. I'd expect Kildare will have the same problem re rain in summer creating that plentiful growth.
                It's the same with lavender - it gets a lot of rain so it grows larger and lusher, and that gets affected by the autumn/winter weather.

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1