Tropaeolum Speciosum

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Gogs, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    [​IMG]

Tropaeolum Speciosum aka Flame Flower

I had several at my previous place & tried many times to get some to root from it without success .So today i've sent for some seeds from this company

http://www.plant-world-seeds.com/store Since ordering i've been told you can get it in bulb form, anybody know about this ? (Even though i'm too late now ,just curious).

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Plants are also available from several nurseries, eg:
    http://www.vanmeuwen.com/times/plant/73977
    expensive
    West country Online Nurseries - cheaper
    I've tried from seed with no success, so I thought I might try a plant. Someone on the forum has established it- was it Dendrobium?

3. returnmack

returnmack Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look on ebay - there is one guy who sells nothing else but bare root. I got some earlier this year and he sent loads of rhizome for a few pounds. Don't know if its taken yet, though.

4. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
  5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I tried ,with no luck for years, to propagate it by digging up bits and replanting and finally achieved success by digging out a spadeful of soil and rhizomes.

6. James Middleton

James Middleton Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good to hear about the guy from E-Bay. I have wanted to own a Flame Flower for 25 years. I was put off by the expense of the seeds and failure to germinate! They are not easy to raise from seed. I think I'll be paying E-bay a visit later tonight - I'll let you know how I get on.

7. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    Ok, looked it up, so pretty, not in my zone. OH Well. Have enough house plants for the winter. Moving on.

8. Smiffy

Smiffy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hardy Perennial Climber
    Height: 10 feet
    Ideal For: Border
    Germination: Challenging
    Aftercare: Challenging

Description
    Flame Flower. Gorgeous scarlet flowered climber. Climbs to 180-300cm (6-10ft).

Sowing Instructions
    Sow in trays, pots, etc of good seed compost. Sowing Depth: ¼ Inch (6 mm). Sowing Time: Sow on receipt of seeds. Germination can sometimes take more than 1 year. Place seed container in a shady cold frame or plunge in a sheltered part of the garden and make sure that the compost does not dry out

Above is an extract from the T and M seed site, the parts highlighted in bold have put me off trying to grow from seed. But I can't seem to find anyone selling the rhizomes or plants - not even from the links in this thread, oreven on my trusty Ebay:( Is it the wrong time of year?
    Also I have grown Canary creeper and Nasturtiums which grew like wildfire ! Would this Tropaeolum Speciosum have a similar growth?

9. returnmack

returnmack Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Harry
    I got my rhizomes from Ebay in April - I gave some to mum who started it off in a pot. It took almost immediately. I put mine direct into the ground and I thought it had come to naught, but at the end of July I noticed it clambering its way up my golden sambucus. No flowers yet, but hopefully next year!
    Alis

10. Smiffy

Smiffy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Returnmack , I will forget the seed idea , and scour Ebay in the early spring for the Rhizomes :thumb:

11. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Hi Gogs, According to the RHS plant finder website there are five nurseries in Scotland who stock that plant (I know Scotland is a big place) but a couple of the nurseries have a mail order service, would you like me to Pm the details to you?