Tropical beds - garden project

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by sage and onion, Jul 20, 2009.

1. sage and onion

sage and onion Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I've just completed planting some new raised beds in my back garden and keen to start planning my next project - creating tropical borders in my front garden.
    Have attached 2 pictures of beds as they are now and know there are some plants there that I can use ie: Fatsia and Gunnera etc My idea is to remove all the grass and start from a blank canvas.
    Has anyone any suggestions for quick growing evergreen plants. Really like Elephant's ears for ground cover - my friend has some are they easy to splt and grow on? Also not starting the project until I have all the plants and working to a budget so need advice on best ways to grown on small plants or starting from seed as not thinking of doing beds for a few months.
    All comments welcome!

2. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi S&O, Welcome to the world of Tropicals :) I like your Raised Beds especially your Gunnera, Elephants ears are good and as you say There "Easy" Have you Tried B&Q, theyv'e started selling Tropicals from £2.00... Hosta's are good and should be going real cheap soon as they will be Dying Off, I bought 3 Big Daddy's for a £1.00 each last year, normally £8.99... You Could Splash out and buy a Couple of Palms then wait untill Autumn and Buy Plants At half or less the price, then overwinter them... Have a Browse of some of the members gardens, thats how I started and im loving the Tropicals... Dee..

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,000
    Elephants Ears are easy to divide and makes good ground cover, in my experience I've found them to be easy to split and get going at any time, I'd suggest you do it in Sept onwards & make sure the ground does not dry out.

4. sage and onion

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, will start having a browse around for some bargains as I'm not planting straight away. Great idea about the palms, fancy some tree ferns too as think they'll really have some impact.

5. sage and onion

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks that's good to know and have a friend that I may be able to acquire a few from.

6. sage and onion

Ratings:
    +0
    :flwsml: Wow! Thanks YoungDaisyDee for your advise went to Homebase today and there were some bargains! Hostas were reduced to £1.49 and I'm now the proud owner of a tree fern too! (Very excited but a bit scared due to lack of knowledge)
    [​IMG]
    Luckily had friend with me who was in the know and have split and repotted all the Hostas to make more plants ready for next year.
    [​IMG]
    My daughter Daisy loves the tree fern and has named it Jimbo!
    Now researching books / plants for the tropical beds - would anyone have any ideas?
    PS Think your garden looks fab!

7. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Well Done S&O Deffo a bargain with the Hostas and the TF (jimbo)is a Beut, Was he reduced? and Loving the grasses too. Great choice now go have some fun planting them hahaha..

8. sage and onion

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes he was reduced to £19.99(my friend was very jealous!) Will be going past our nearest B&Q this weekend so will have to have a look! How long has it taken to get your garden looking as it does?

9. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    Daaannnggggg....... you REALLY got a bargain on that tree fern!!! Gret going! I'm sure it going to look excellent once you get it all planted!!!

10. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Think I might have to go and look in Homebase tom and see if I can find some bargains and it's all your fault :hehe::hehe::D

11. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    That is a Bargain S&O. The TF is my favourite and I want another one :gnthb: I started my Tropcals last year in the spring with the help of the GOY members :luv: I couldn't of done it without them, But with living in the Northeast I have to know my limits and my Greenhouse gets pretty full in the winter :) Seems like your having fun planning and if you wait untill the end of Sept/October thats where the real bargains are, GCs dont have the room to Overwinter and sell them off at rediculous prices. Wayhay :D

12. sage and onion

Ratings:
    +0
    That's my plan to stock up and pot on now til April and them hopefully have quite a few plants. Have been offered a pineapple plant/tree not sure what it looks like or if it will go with my planting. I will be after advice alot as I live quite coastal and it gets a bit windy so am a bit worried at spending lots on plants that may not last. So looking forward to hearing peoples suggestions.