tropical hardy fern.

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by sal73, Jan 2, 2012.

1. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    I was wondering on youtube and I found this clip about how to grow fern from spores , It will take about 3/4 months , it would be a nice little project to start now and put on the site untill germination.....is anyone interested to share some fern spores?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    I grew Dicksonia from spores a long time ago.

It would be quite large by now, but it was wiped out by frost after about 5yrs in the greenhouse.

I think it took at least 12 months to get from the prothallus stage to a tiny plant, then 5yrs to something resembling a tree fern.

I'm now to old to be doing this kind of thing.:D

• Like Like x 1
    • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,998
      Lol Pete...Dicksonia is the last one on my list , as if you are lucky the may grow 1 inch a year in UK .....that`s why they are so expencive , they are priced at £1 x 1 cm I was more thinking of Blechnum , maiden fern or stag horn fern .....I would just love some maiden fern but can`t find any around where I live , fern is an essential in tropical garden but many time we just forgot about them .

• Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
      +245
      We have quite a lot of hardy ground ferns in the garden. They do add to the tropical look and you dont have to worry the same as with tree ferns.

Tree ferns can take quite bad winters, but not all will survive, if you do get some Sal then keep dicksonias in a sheltered spot and protect them in the winter.

I have never grown any ferns from spore (although have had them self spore in the garden - if that counts!)