Tropical themed garden

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by freeman3030, Mar 20, 2011.

1. freeman3030

freeman3030 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    My partner and I have just moved into our first house together and I really want to get on top of the garden as it wont be long before its summer and also it's the thing thats going to take longest to mature, so if we come to sell in a few years, it will look better and be more established.
    I would really like a tropical theme with palm trees and Yukka's (whether Yukkas are tropical or not - I don't know, but they look nice) as it reminds me of being on holiday.
    At the far end of the garden, I would like some sort or raised patio to have a BBQ & table + chairs... I've seen a set I like the look of:
    http://www.gardenfurniturecentre.co.uk/acatalog/rattan_garden_furniture_avery_round_150.html

But, not sure what colour stone to place it on, and also what other plants I can use to give the garden some colour, that have a tropical feel about them - as palms and all tropical plants I've seen tend to be green.

The other main struggle I'm having is to do with garden maintenance. I really need a lawn mower, but I don't know what to choose, is there much difference (except the obvious) between petrol and electric mowers? I would like an electric one as they tend to be cheaper and you don't have to worry about making sure you've got petrol etc.

If anyone can help with my tropical theme, I would really appreciate it.
    Thankyou

2. wozwoz

wozwoz Gardener

gardener
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hiya . Congratulations on your new home .
    Tree ferns and bananas r always tops for the tropical feel as well as plenty of climbers - trachelospermum is a favorite climber for me - evergreen, quite lush , hardy and with jasmine like flowers in the summer . The tree fern cyathea dealbata is a stunning New Zealand tree fern with really broad , full fronds even from a lowly little stump and they r silver on the underside of the fronds if the wind gets under its skirts and it gives u a flash! : ) Its not as hardy as the dicksonia but they could both do with a wrap for the winter anyway but thats only the work of moments anyhoo.
    Musa basjoo is a toughy as bananas go but ensete ventricosum maurelii is a stunning beast with maroon on the back of the leaves and stem . Its a big boofy banana but once again , not hardy but a winter wrap will see it good.
    Hostas and hardy ferns r good for lush underplanting and with these u wont need to wrap anything , although...ahem...a slug pelet or two might come in handy but dont tell anyone I said that !!!
    Have fun :dbgrtmb:

3. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Lots of plants will help with the feel, not all are totally hardy, and many will depend on your exact location - where about are you?

Trachycarpus, cordylines, butia, treeferns can all be considered for instance, but it really depends on your location and winter temperatures.

Have a look at my Blog (see sig) for a pile of pics etc of my own exotic garden.