Trouble with baby blackbirds and plug plants!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by AnnM, Jun 16, 2006.

1. AnnM

AnnM Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - please help! I have several families of blackbirds in my garden that are extremely tame and we love having them around but the trouble this year is the young birds seem to think it great fun to pull up all my small begonia plug plants I have just planted out! They also go in and out of my greenhouse yanking them out of seed trays - just for devilment it appears to me!! How can I deter them - tonight I have put horticultural fleece over the trays in the greenhouse but I can't keep it there permanently! Thanks Ann

2. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    I had trouble when I laid new turf with birds pulling up the turf to get at the worms. The only solution that worked were obstructions. If they are looking for food you could try more tasty treats to distract them but ultimately you probaby need some sort of barrier between them and the plant. :(

3. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    old cd's dangling on strings is a good deterrant, run a line of them to dangle and glint in the wind and sun - the people down the allotments swear by them.

4. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Michael Bolton CDs work particularly well! :D