Solved Troublesome weed ID please

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Quovadisuk, Aug 12, 2024.

1. Quovadisuk

Quovadisuk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This weed is a right pain . It’s extremely difficult to get rid of and at the moment I am lifting it out by its roots to kill at source . It tends to entangle itself into other plants roots to avoid you accessing the roots . I tend to lift the plant and remove the weed . If I pull it and the top of weed breaks it tends to regrow very easily hence the effort to remove it manually . How does it spread and what is it ? Kind regards

Attached Files:

2. Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
    Ratings:
    +575
    It looks like one of the low growing Oxalis. I’m not sure how they spread, probably a mix of creeping stems and seed. The low growing ones shouldn’t be any bother to other plants so you could just consider it free ground

I haven’t got any but I think it’s quite hard to get rid of as they will be som many of the tiny bulbils

3. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +8,039
    Yes it's an Oxalis and spreads by any possible means, bulbils, creeping and seeds. The only reliable way to get completely rid of it is to say you actually like the plant and pot it up as a container plant. :mad: I tried.

Most Oxalis leaves are edible. It's not a strong grower so doesn't really suffocate or harm other plants.

Pulling young growth by hand and mulching to prevent seeds from germinating will probably help to control it.

There are some lovely varieties for outdoor and houseplants, and Chilterns sell seeds for microgreens. :)

4. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    This is now present on every Continent (Even Antarctica).
    The seeds explode out of the pods and are very, very long lived.The roots have tiny (and I mean really tiny) bulbs on them, so if you just hoe it off or pull it up, they will regrow. And it WILL overgrow other plants as it can get quite large in terms of spread.
    I use a flame gun on it, and try to burn it off before it flowers, otherwise you are in for a life time of weeding.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,926
      Oxalis corniculata is a pernicious creeping weed, it spreads quickly by seed, the seed pods explode and scatter seed several feet. You have to get every bit of root out otherwise it regrows.

• On the Levels

On the Levels Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,501
      While is can be a very attractive plant it is very invasive. As others have said the seeds move across your area but also they have roots that do spread a long way.
      again as others have said you just have to keep on top of them...not easy as there are also so many other things you need to do.

• BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
      Ratings:
      +1,535
      That's gardening isn't it?:psnp: :dunno:

• Funny Funny x 1