Trough planting suggestions

Discussion in 'How To Use Xenforo' started by Noel55, Aug 15, 2024.

1. Noel55

Noel55 Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have started looking after an established trough in our village in Staffordshire. It is somewhat overgrown and in need of colour to make it eye catching. Any suggestions for flowers and or shrubs (using their common names if possible) that are both colorful and low maintenance would be most welcome. Thanks in advance

2. Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
    Ratings:
    +575
    Hi @Noel55 a couple of questions to help with useful suggestions.
    What are the dimensions of the trough?
    Is it in sun, shade, exposed?

3. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,938
    It would also be handy to know what's in the trough already that will be staying @Noel55.

4. Noel55

Retired
    Ratings:
    +5
    The trough is approx 1mtr x 1mtr. It is in a sunny location and exposed to all the elements.
    Currently in there is an excess of ivy which I am going to take out. I am looking for something to replace the ivy and hang down the sides. There is an azelia in the middle which I will leave and then the rest of the trough is a mix of odds and sods which I am looking to replace with all year round interest.

5. ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
    Ratings:
    +3,459
    Do you mean it is 1 metre deep or the top surface area is 1 metre by 1 metre? :) If this measurement is for the top, how deep is it? Will it be watered regularly?

6. Noel55

Retired
    Ratings:
    +5
    Top surface is 1mtr x 1mtr. Think it must also be about 1 mtr deep but no idea how much of the depth is compost/soil and base rubble. It will be watered regularly as that is how I have come to inherit the trough. The village appoints volunteers to water and care for the various troughs in the village.

• Like Like x 1
    • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,459
      Are you wanting a permanent display or plants that you change with the seasons?

• Noel55

Retired
      Ratings:
      +5
      Low maintenance, high impact all year round would be the ideal but realise that is asking a lot. So I would consider any suggestions that the group make based on their collective knowledge.
      Thanks.

• Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
      Ratings:
      +575
      Some smaller evergreen grasses such as Stipa tenuissima or Carex Everest or Evergold would give some contrast to the Azalea.

Campanula poscharskyana is a robust trailing plant with lots of summer flowers, not evergreen though. Lysmachia Aurea is evergreen and a bright, lime green but in my experience can be a bit straggly.

Heucheras give good colourful evergreen foliage and lots to choose from.

1m x 1m isnt that big to give a year round permanent display with lots of flower each season, so I would suggest focusing on colour from the foliage and contrasting shapes/form. The azalea will give a good pop of colour flower-wise in Spring which you could further enhance with bulbs. The smaller narcissus such as Tete a Tete will look better scale wise.

• Like Like x 1
      • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,459
        OK, so, if you want some colour now, pansies are going to be your best bet. You could underplant with spring bulbs. As it is a sunny site, daffodils would do well, but the leaves hanging round for 6 weeks after flowering (to feed the bulbs for the following yr's display) are a bit unsightly. Next spring there will be lots of choice for annuals that trail. If you go for something like Convolvulus Sabatius, this is evergreen and will survive a mild winter, so that would potentially give you an all-yr trailer. It flowers prolifically with little purple trumpet shaped blooms and deadheads itself. I think I have a photo.

>>>>>

<<<<<

Yep ... here we are. It can cope in quite dry conditions and likes full sun.

IMG_1213.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Plantminded

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,938
          Erigeron karvinskianus will provide flowers from April to December, billowing over the edge of the trough. It remains evergreen here and may do for you in mild winters. It looks good with Stipa tenuissima. Hardy geraniums are also easy, try G. Sanguineum, the bloody cranesbill, a perennial but reliable and easy to divide for more plants.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
            Ratings:
            +4,438
            What kind of Azalea is it? The Japanes types are evergreen, and slow growing, but there also deciduous ones.
            I'd agree that the surface area of the container isn't huge, and you might compromise it if you add a lot of other planting. They're generally shallower rooting too, so it would help if you can determine the depth of the soil layer to help with ideas.
            Ground covering plants that prefer, or don't mind, quite shallow soil might be the solution if there isn't a great depth of soil, and they can be annuals or perennials. If you can have a poke around and see how much soil is there, that will also help. You can add more soil [within reason ] which will help if you use annuals. Plenty of choices there, and you can tone them with the azalea flower colour too.
            I'd also agree that some trailing plants will be a good idea to soften the edges :smile:

• ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,459
            If you're going for hardy geraniums, be careful to select those that can cope with drought and full-on afternoon sun. Azure Rush, for example, flowers for months, trails beautifully, is happy in a container ... but ... it would be very unhappy in dry soil and hot sun. Also check length of flowering period. Magnificum is fab in many ways, but 4 weeks of colour is all you will get, and then it's just foliage.

• Plantminded

Retired
            Ratings:
            +2,938
            G. Sanguineum is happy in sun or shade and is also drought tolerant. I’ve found that G. Rozanne, which is similar to Azure Rush, struggles in hot, dry locations. An alternative, also known as geraniums, but a completely different plant, are Pelargoniums. They are tender but happy in dry conditions, once established and easy to replace each year. There are also trailing varieties which are attractive with ivy like foliage.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,459
              Yes, my Rozanne wilts in hot sun. A pity, because the long flowering period would make it a good trough choice.

• Agree Agree x 1