Trowel and fork

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by greenfingerskev, Jul 20, 2017.

1. greenfingerskev

greenfingerskev Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi I have used a cheapo trowel and little fork for some time now and its time I upgraded to a more expensive trowel and fork. I have looked at spear and Jackson is this a good name to go for or should I consider other makes also.:smile:

2. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Bulldog for spades and forks but wolf do a range off small handles and attachments that are good too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,707
      I was looking this morning at my Wilkinson Sword spade and thinking how well it had lasted, but would also suggest going along to a garden centre and handling some different brands, even if you end up buying off the internet. Like cooking pans it's about finding what's comfortable for you - weight, size of handle etc - as well as good quality. Look out for stainless steel ones, more expensive but nice and easy to keep clean.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
        +599
        Spear & Jackson tools are pretty good products and they (usually) stand the test of time and do a good job.

@Clare G's recommendation of visiting garden centres (and even big DIY stores) is a brilliant way of finding the tools that feel comfortable for you :blue thumb:

The most important thing is finding good quality and ergonomic tools for your height, strength, body and limb movement. When you pick up the right tool, you may instinctively feel that is the right one for you - and trust that gut instinct. You can take it back if it's in good condition (and got the tags on).

A couple of years ago, I bought a Verve (B&Q home brand) hand fork with pitched angled shaft. It was probably made in China but upon entering my palm, it felt like Excalibur :paladin:.
        It did a fantastic job, the grippy plastic-coated handle, leverage and ability to root out all but the most stubborn rhizomous menaces that a garden fork couldn't reach was unbelievable. Then I lost it :frown::doh::wallbanging:

Bought a Wilkinson Sword wooden handled hand fork and after a few weeks of normal daily use, developed lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow) which now has to be tamed with a hard elbow clasp otherwise hand-forking with right arm is impossible. There's a moral to this story!!!

• Like Like x 4
        • greenfingerskev

greenfingerskev Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +7
          Hi and thanks for all the advice.:)

• Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +9,232
          For what it's worth, I was given a Spear & Jackson hand fork and trowel as a wedding present, 24 years ago. Both are still going strong, and are in regular use. The trowel is still in pristine condition (apart from the wooden handle, that now has a lovely grey patina). For some reason, the metal sleeve that goes over the end of the wooden section on the hand fork slipped after a couple of years, so that rattles along the metal spindle as I use it, but the sound is part of the rhythm of my gardening.

I agree, go to a garden centre/diy shop, try a few, and find what feels right for you...

• Like Like x 4
          • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,686
            Just been given a Spear and Jackson set today as a birthday present. Yet to use, but significantly better quality than I have had before. The trowel has depth measurements displayed on it too, which is handy.