Trowel for stony soil?

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Sezzle, May 20, 2008.

1. Sezzle

Sezzle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My last trowel bent to 90 degrees after a few months of digging in our stony clay! Can anyone recommend a good make that is tough enough for the job please?
    Thanks!

2. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    well surly if its bending then you need to add more humus and cultivate the soil more? rather than getting a new trowel...as it would probably break just as easy

3. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I use a decorators stripping knife, lost my hand trowel 2 years ago!!!, improvised with he stripping knife and found it more usefull.

A stainless trowel will be up for the job, darlac make a good one.

http://www.darlac.com/about.htm

4. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    The best made trowel's are Wolf Garten Multi Change (as are all their products, very expensive but reliable). I bought mine when Tesco had a garden centre at Bar Hill and were having Wolf tools with the Tesco name on them. It was them that started me collecting Wolf tools, my most recent purchase was a grubber and handle (list price for both £28+, Wolf special offer £14.99, Madingley Mulch £12.99).

5. Beechleaf

Beechleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I find a narrow trowel with a pointy end is much better where the soil is hard and stony. It is much easier to penetrate the ground with this style of trowel rather than a broad-bladed one.

6. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I suffer from similar problems with my new garden - it's like trying to garden in the Gobi desert! There's good advice above about buying high quality tools but may I also suggest you may be expecting too much from a hand trowel. I had to use a pick axe the first time I broke up the "soil". Then I dug it over twice with a very strong old Spear & Jackson garden fork. Then, and only then, could I use a hand trowel in the best places. My hand trowel is also made by S & J.

7. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Now. I know this is a stupid question and I expect to get my ears pinned back for asking it. Why do you use a trowel:confused: I've been messing about in gardens since I was 12 and have never used one. I always use a hand prong.

8. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Cajary

Questions that test the obvious are always worth asking.

I use a hand trowel mainly for transplanting small plants e.g. cabbages (I only use a dibber for leeks). In fact, sometimes I use two hand trowels together like a pair of tongs, if you follow me. In this way, you can dig out a neat plug of soil and then scoop up a plant for transplanting complete with its root ball and drop it into the hole. Minimum root disturbance. In fact, I use this technique for transplanting young carrots to fill in any gaps in the rows. It takes me longer to type the action than to do it!

Oh, and I use a trowel for filling larger pots with compost.

9. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Cajary, what`s a hand prong?:) Flinty, rather than using two trowels , why not get a bulb planter?

10. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    David

I guess the bulb planter would be fine for making the hole but using two trowels in a sort of pincer action lets you lift a small plant, or even fragile seedlings, out of the ground very cleanly.