Truncated potted hydrangea worry re care/planting

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Peter Hurley, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Peter Hurley

Peter Hurley Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    Gardening ignorant.

Got present of hydrangea in pot and cut back (see pic). 9 inch high pot.

Can anybody tell me what this stage is called?

When I should plant it (I have info on planting details etc), and if not til spring (Mar, April?) then where to keep ie temp, light etc.

Should I expect it to flower this Summer?

Thanks

Pete
    upload_2023-1-17_9-58-15.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Welcome to the forum Peter.

Assuming you are in the Uk, for the time being keep it frost free. Although they are hardy the current cold snap can freeze plants in pots and if they are not used to it it may kill them, sometimes even hardy plants are kept in nurseries in sheltered positions.

Wait till the spring to plant, I would wait till April but a lot depends on your local climate. Basically you need to wait till the soil begins to warm up.

They do best in dappled light, so avoid full sunlight and completely shaded north facing borders. They need moist soil and plenty of water during establishment and summer droughts.

Not sure if it will flower this year, depends on its age and size.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Peter Hurley

Ratings:
      +2
      Thanks, John. I am obliged to you.
      I will keep it indoors until I am certain (in these strange days?) that it will not be going in while frost is about. April it is then or late March. I am in UK.

Pete

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +48,979
        It would be good to move it outside during milder weather, when there are no frosts. Make sure it doesn't dry out when indoors.

• Peter Hurley

Ratings:
        +2
        Thanks again for that, John.
        I will do these things

Cheers
        Pete

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • luis_pr

luis_pr Gardener

Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, USA; USDA Zone 7b/8a
          Ratings:
          +127
          While they are dormant like this, they need soil that is moist but do not let it get dry. I can usually water them about every two weeks inside my garage when potted. When to plant: once all danger of frost has passed, you can plant it outside or grow it in a pot outside. You may be able to find local/city frost date information online (it varies by city/location). The amount of sun exposure that the plant's foliage can withstand will depend on the particular species. For example, Big Leaf Hydrangea, Smooth Hydrangea and Mountain Hydrangea prefer sun until 11am during the hot summer months but Panicle Hydrangeas can take full sun. At times, I have had some of these species potted in full sun during winter (when leafless) and until early-to-mid spring (with leaves) but, once temperatures warm up and typically reach or exceed 29C or so, I move the pot to get morning sun only for all except panicle hydrangeas. Smooth and Panicle Hydrangeas develop dormant flower buds just prior to blooming in late spring (Smooth) or summer (Panicle). Smooth Hydrangea starts developing the flower buds after leaf out time while Panicle Hydrangeas typically wait closer to the summer months. The other hydrangea species typically develop dormant flower buds in late summer and open them in the spring. If this specimen is a Smooth and Panicle Hydrangea, I would expect it to develop new growth (stems) in spring 2023 to bloom in late spring/summer 2023. I would not expect the other species to normally bloom in 2023 unless this is a Big Leaf Hydrangea cultivar that blooms on both old and new wood. In that case, the new spring 2023 growth (stems) will produce blooms in late summer 2023 once the stems get old enough and tall enough to trigger flower buds production and immediate blooming.