Trying to find a rough list of native trees ( maybe shrubs as well )

Discussion in 'Trees' started by RipSlider, Dec 29, 2008.

1. RipSlider

RipSlider Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

I'v only just joined. For those who haven't read my witterings in the "New Members" sections, I have a traditional front and back garden ( very small and currently made of weeds and moss ) and a big lump of land beind it that will one day be a proper garden.

The big area ( about 3/4 arce ) I will not get around to for at least a couple of years, as still working on the house, need to sort out the two smaller gardens first and there is a baby arriving next month.

The "grand plan" is that the area will eventually be "semi wild" - a garden, but based on wild flowers, native trees etc. I would like it somewhere between a space specifically for birds/insects etc and something slightly more structured. However, wildlife is main priority in the long term.

For now, I don't plan on spending much time on it, so the idea is to sew a load of mixed wild flower seeds, bulbs etc, and add a few trees. That way, it can get on by itself for a couple of years, but will look nicer and start to support some wild life.

There will be about 30 species of flowers going in - they all come in a pre-mix. I know that this is somewhat tricky to pull off, as one or two species tend to take over everything else, so after some discussion I am borrowing a friends goat to come and act as an eco-lawn mover and keep everything in check.

Trees and shrubs I am having a lot more trouble with, as they do not come in pre-mixed packets...
    I wonder if you could suggest some native species of trees and perhaps shrubs that will do well without much if any looking after. As I will probably re-use them all when I come to really look at the bigger garden, I don't mind spending a bit of money on more mature specimins initially. They should all be native british species.

If these trees/hurbs did something interesting, like flowered, had interesting foliage or something similar, then all the better.

If it helps, I am based in North Yorkshire. Not especially cold, but windy a lot of the time.

Soil is not great. Looks like a sandyish loam, but is full of rocks, rubbish and all sorts of junk. Not tested it's acidity sorry.

Many thanks for any advice

Steve

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Hi Steve this is a good list of species.. HERE

Woodland Trust HERE

& THIS one might help too....:thmb: Definitely some food for thought..!:thmb::D

3. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
  4. RipSlider

RipSlider Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Eek. The list is rather extensive.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Specifically trees at first - I'm looking for something that will tolerate neglect and probably bad soil, although I'll dig plenty of manure etc in when I plant.

I was kind of thinking rowans, ashes etc. Maybe Oak, but I would need to take out a mortgage to get some of even smallish size! Would like willows, but they won't grow in free draining soil I don't think?

Steve

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Steve,

http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

You offset the price with patience, and a little searching around. Also have a poke around the boxes in Lidl, I picked up a load of hornbeams from there at 3.49 each and they are already starting to show developing buds.

As far as willows, I imagine they grow very well anywhere as long as they aren`t placed too near any buildings to cause problems in the future-as with all trees they need careful attention in the first year of planting-watering etc, so the larger, the more expensive and the more time they demand.

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I have a willow growing in the garden that must have self seeded as I certainly didn't plant it! I think its about 3 years old and it gets cut back regularly in winter, otherwise it would be huge now. This Spring I'm planting a clematis montana to grow up/through it.
    I also have friends who found a willow sapling growing wild and stuck it in the garden. 15 years later its enormous and every year it gets cut back so the wood can be used for weaving.

I think willows are tough enough to survive anywhere and quick growing!

I like the idea of rowans too, but save your money and get smaller ones to start with. They'll grow quick enough and there's nothing like watching a tree grow each year.

7. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    try victoriananursery.co.uk

ring and ask for steve

this is a very helpful place to shop

8. Jamike

Jamike Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I like silver birch they are so easy to grow and quite cheap. Check these out : http://store.ashridgetrees.co.uk/ they are great to deal with, I have made many purchases from them esp. the bare root trees all transplanted well.

9. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Jamike is correct about small bare root saplings, they establish quicker than larger specimens. You have until the end of the month to get bare rooted trees in.

I too have used Ashridge Trees, but there is probably a nursery (not garden centre) nearer to you which will stock trees that are used to the conditions in your area.

I would definitely go for rowan, but also holly, spindle tree (Euonymus Europaeus), crab apple, elder, damson or bullace, hawthorn (you can gat a really pretty one called Paul's Scarlet) and my favourite the horse chestnut. Most of these have flowers, fruit or berries good for attracting wildlife.

10. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Forgot to add Viburnum Lantana (wayfaring tree) and Viburnum Opulus (Guilder Rose).

11. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    For trees that require little maintenance, willow is good but very fast growing, so will probably need an annual haircut. It does well in very damp soil. In what way do you think your soild is bad? Too wet, too dry, too heavy? Something else?

Birches are a good choice, silver birch has a very attractive and distinctive appearance and will do well in most conditions.

Have a google about, some trees are classed as 'pioneer' species, which means they'll take over patches of ground that are not much good for other stuff.

As for oak, it won't cost you much if you shop around. Look for bare root 1 or 2 year old saplings. You'll find them for 50p to £1 each, but many sellers have minimum order sizes for bare root trees (minimum 25 trees when I lost bought some), so it helps if you can find someone else to share the order.

As for choice of species, why not chuck in some with good flowers and/or fragrance? Crab apple trees look spectactular when they flower, and spell good too. I often think that good old hawthorn and blackthorn are underrated as they give good shows of fragrant flowers at a time of year when we could all do with some cheer, and of course hawthorn is decked out with red berries from autumn right through until all the birds have finished nicking them. Elder is fast growing, low maintenance and gives a good show of flowers a bit later in the year, and fragrant too.