Trying to identify Palm and care advice

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by cosmichamster, Jun 3, 2015.

1. cosmichamster

cosmichamster Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

Just joined the forum and hoping for some advice with my first post. I've searched a few topics to see if it's been covered but couldn't find too much.

I have these 2 trees at the front of the drive, they are fairly open from all sides and not blocked from sun/rain/wind.

I'm assuming they are Palm trees but would anyone know what type?

Also would anyone have some care advice as I'm not sure if I should be doing anything for them.

They seem to have brown type twig like branches growing out the top and also the leaves at the bottom turn brown and some fall off.

Thanks

uploadfromtaptalk1433334078206.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1433334102580.jpg

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    That's a Cordyline australis aka Cabbage Tree or Cabbage Palm

They are last year's flowers/seed head and can be snipped off.

You can tidy them up by stripping them off, use cutters or as I prefer to pull them off so it leaves a nice clean trunk.

They look happy there, they don't need much care apart from tidying up as above.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • cosmichamster

cosmichamster Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks jwk, appreciate the advice. Thankfully little care, although my wife did bump the car into one!

• Funny Funny x 1