1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to root Hydrangeas from cuttings in a water spray Propergator ?

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Howard Shaw, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Howard Shaw

Howard Shaw Apprentice Gardener

Service engineer
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi all,
    I recently bought a heated propergator which premanantly sprays a water mist onto the base of my cuttings.
    I put about 20 cuttings into this system, dipped them in rooting gell and set the unit going. they have now been running for about 4 weeks and still no sign of any roots, just a browning on the bottom of the stem.
    Can anyone advise please.
    Many thanks Howard.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,552
    Personally I don't like the idea of a propagator permanently misting. An ordinary heated propagator usually condensates naturally after cuttings are initially watered and that should be enough to keep the soil moist. It could be that the cuttings have rotted at the base because they are so wet.

Different plants take different lengths of time to root. They may also be too hot in the propagator at this time of year. I only use mine early in the season, February to April. :)

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,676
    Hydrangeas usually root fairly easily, not that I have tried them recently.

I dont think 4 weeks is too long though, a bit of patience perhaps.:biggrin:

4. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    I've rooted semi ripe hydrangea cuttings in pots just placed in a zip-lock bag and popped in a cold frame out of direct sunlight. They rooted fairly quickly from what I remember, about 4-6 weeks :)

I would be worried about too much moisture and heat in a propagator at this time of year too, don't give up though if they're still holding their leaves they should still be healthy :)

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Sounds like an aeroponic propagator? I used one for a while but I didn't think it had any advantage and gave it up in favour of conventional propagation using free draining compost - the key to which is to keep the foliage moist, and I have a mist propagator (which mists the foliage) for that purpose.

6. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Does it need gel if the bottom of the cutting is being sprayed?

7. Howard Shaw

Service engineer
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well I put gell on , but apparently this is not required?

8. Howard Shaw

Service engineer
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well Patience was correct - I checked this morning and there were roots ! yes roots baby!

• Like Like x 5
    • Howard Shaw

Service engineer
      Ratings:
      +14
      the large vents are fully open and i have put them near the window in a cooler room in the house!

• Howard Shaw

Service engineer
      Ratings:
      +14
      Well it does appear to be about 5 weeks for rooting as they have just started to appear, 4 out of 22 failed, quite good i reacon !

• Like Like x 1
      • Howard Shaw

Service engineer
        Ratings:
        +14
        Thanks for the info so far everyone !
        well now going to try propergation in the air using a plastic bottle, tie wraps and coir & fertilizer!
        I love experimenting! any tips on this? anyone tried it? Bay tree's are next! should be interesting as I believe these are hard to sort !

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Pass. It will be washed off, but maybe having it in the resulting-spray, thereafter, helps?

Hadn't through about it, as I put my Aeroponics propagator on the shelf after the novelty wore off!!, but perhaps a solution of Willow-water in the reservoir would make a difference?

I found that the biggest difficulty with rooting in water (Aeroponics or just sticking cuttings in a jar of water) is getting the roots to transition to soil, when potting up. Things rooted in compost get potted up with zero losses, whereas water-rooted need a lot of TLC/Time&Attention and I don't have that, so I got some losses.

Best avoided during propagation, but provide a weak liquid feed once they start to grow. Liquid feed would be preferable so you can adjust the strength to suit the stage of growth that the plans are at.

I'm done with experimenting! I do it by the book as I don't have time for the losses from experimenting :sad: Of course The Book has a variety of methods that work :) I use 50:50 Perlite and Multi-purpose, or 50:50 Perlite and Horticultural Grit, rooting Gel (NOT Powder), bought from an outlet with high turnover [although unlike Powder the Gel does have a Best Before date - chuck it after that, and chuck Powder after no more than a year - but I'm sceptical that the Powder you can buy is "fresh"]

• Howard Shaw

Service engineer
        Ratings:
        +14
        from what I can gather, what does this sound like ? would a mix some type of sand (to be incontact with stem), a fine compost (for natuaral surroundings and food) & Perlite ( to aid drainage or keep moist ? ) be the best for rooting cuttings and if so wat %'s.
        Basically I'm after the best and quickest way to get strong roots onto cuttings.

Thanks Howard.

p.s. is Horticultural grit like sharp sand?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        No, its rougher / has larger particles. The particles are angular, rather than smooth. I think that's what defines it as "horticultural" - but like horticultural sand, rather than builders sand - angular / sharp, rather than soft.

Don't worry about "in contact with stem", just make sure you firm each one in well so there is no air pocket at the base.

This video, by a professional gardener who's informative videos I enjoy, explains about Grit and Perlite mix. His videos are irreverent, non PC and contain some swearing ...

• Like Like x 1
        • Howard Shaw

Service engineer
          Ratings:
          +14
          An interesting video! does anyone else agree with this method or use it?
          do you think it would work with any cutting? or particulary with fushia or Hydrangeas?

Thanks Howard.