TT Races, if your interested!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Sheal, May 30, 2011.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,892
    Well our islands famous TT (Tourist Trophy) motorcycle races got under way this evening, two weeks, this week for practice and next week the races. It was touch and go this evening as the rain clouds loomed just before road closure, we had a brief downpour of hail and then all was well.

It creates havoc for the islands people, but it brings the whole place alive with up to 30,000 bikes on the island, considering it's only approx. 35 miles long by 9 wide, life is a little difficult moving around.

I live on the course, so when the roads close I have to stay in or stay out, up to 3 hours during practice or all day during race week, Saturday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. If weather is bad it's carried over to the following day. If racing is delayed by accident etc. on any particular day, the roads can stay closed 'til 9.30pm. If the accident's fatal, some people won't see there homes until the police have finished there work, that could be anytime.

The circuit is about 38 miles and every vehicle that usually parks on the course has to be put elsewhere, so that the roads are completely clear of obstruction. If somebody forgets, the vehicle is removed by the powers that be and the owner fined £1000. Expensive parking!

The bikers take there chance with any wild animal movement while they are racing at speeds up to 150 mph. The animals tend to go to ground though.

This is all repeated in late August with the Grand Prix, same set-up but with the older bikes not modern ones.

If anyone's interested I'll post a few pics later during the fortnight, if I can catch them on camera at that speed! :)