Tuberous begonia advice please

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Deneice, Sep 29, 2024 at 10:38 AM.

1. Deneice

Deneice Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    Hi everyone - I am a clueless newbie. I only have a balcony for my garden but it is already thriving (despite my being so ignorant about everything garden related).
    This year I grew some tuberous begonias in very small hanging balcony planters and the display they created for months on end took my breath away.
    I've only just learned about tuberous begonias and overwintering generally. So glad I have or I would have left them outside and they would have died.
    My question is - can I cut the plants down and then keep the tubers in the soil in their containers if I bring the containers indoors? If so, I assume I don't water them at all over winter? And would I store them in the dark?
    Or....is it better to remove the tubers from the soil and just store the bare tubers inside?

The first option would mean less work for me. I have an ever growing list of health conditions which means the more energy I can save the better. But if that isn't what is best for my beautiful begonias then I will find the energy.
    Thanks in advance for any advice

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,626