Tuberous Begonias

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sussexgardener, May 3, 2010.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I bought a Begonia tuber (or corm?) on a whim the other day - it was 85pence and as I've never tried them before, I thought, what the heck.

It started to sprout almost immediately and I've now potted it up, making sure the concave side is face up and just below the surface of the compost and have watered sparingly. There hasn't been much more growth since then, jut a couple of sprouts.

So, um, what else do I need to do? When can it be planted outside? And from internet reading, it seems they are fine in partial shade too - can someone confirm this?

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Just watch and wait Aaron. They are very slow to get going. My stored ones started showing first signs of growth about a month ago. I then potted them but they've only put on a few mm since then. They are currently in big pots in my polytunnel and I'll probablymove them out in 2 or 3 weeks time.
    Partial shade is fine. Some of our pots are in full sun but others in partial shade and they usually all do well.

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks for that - it's on a warm windowsill that gets good sunshine in the afternoon, but I might move it in case the sun is too strong.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,627
    Must Admit I find they like a bit of shade even when grown outside during the warmest months.

They are slow starters, but seem to romp away once the shoots get to an inch or so high, main reason being, I think, is that until then they dont actually have any roots and are just shooting from the energy stored in the tuber.

I plant them with the top of the tuber level with the surface, it helps to stop them rotting, once the shoot are a couple of inches I cover the tuber with compost.
    Probably just me being cautious:)